Just bought this....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

IMG00476-20100228-1306.jpg

Not paid a lot (less than a new Bicycle Shaped Object MTB), have fancied another MTB for a while since I ground my Carrera Kracken into its component parts, I am mainly a commuter/roadie so not a discerning Mountain Biker but am aware the above isnt the be all and end all but its will be better than the Carrera and I have never had a full susser before so will be a novelty, apparently this is somewhat of a rarity as they changed the name from bear to Dawg after a year or so.

Intersted to see what the opinion of these is, any experiences ?

A very solid bike, made to take serious knocks and bumps on the trail plus it can handle to odd jump or two.

The big down side to a full sus is the increase in maintenance required to keep it running well. As I guess you picked it up second hand how to all the pivots feel, is the suspension smooth. I've had full sus bikes for years, but never learned to service forks or rear shocks and I've got used to forking out a fair amount of cash to get them serviced every year or so.

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Yes, aware of that, buying from a guy at work who says all that is in order, if it isnt then I am fairly handy and my dad works in engineering, lathes and all that stuff so can get parts made, re-finished or whatever, I am quite fussy about things working right !

GilesM

Legendary Member
Looks good and I would say pretty much bomb proof, but it needs to be taken somewhere it can be tested properly.

Have fun.

02GF74

Über Member
looks in good nick. Kona is one of those brands that have been around for quite some time and you'll hear much goodness said about them than badness.

you may wantto give it a check over/overhaul - check pads and chain for wear.

did youy get the shock pump? if not, you'll need one to pump up the rear shock, possbily the front if it is an air spring.

and as ^^^, now get out and ride. today and tomorrow are good days since no rain forecast. :biggrin:

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Got it back, seems in pretty good order but I am no expert when it comes to full sussers, all I can say after charging up and down the road is I was grinning like a fool, hitting six
inch kerbs at full tilt and going up the tree root covered embankment and down the other side, seems impervious. the brakes are pretty good as well.

Doesnt feel as slow and ponderous on tarmac as I was expecting, will ask about the shock pump as could probably do with being a bit firmer.

Only fly in the ointment is gear selection, its crap and the chain seems to be slipping on the cogs so it might need a cassette and chain, cant really see any wear in them so it may be just adjustment, also the cables seem sluggish so probably best to replace them or at least get some light oil in there but thats tommorows job.

Top Bottom