Just curious about other cyclists speeds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inuke

Regular
Hi, Ive been cycling every single day to work (10-15 miles each way) for over 1 year now, it used to be interesting with many other cyclists riding along and at about the same pace as me.

When I started cycling I was averaging 15mph just like so many other cyclists.

But sadly (or not) it seems like theres no one I can cycle with on a commuting daily basis anymore, everyone is just too slow for me nowadays, no one ever cycle at my pace which is frustrating in some sense.

My average speed is 19.88 mph comunting (this is without sweating at all btw)
My top speed is 68mph on a stretch downhill of my daily comuniting (with traffic) I could go faster without traffic.

Now the purpose of this thread is Id like to ask other cyclists who ride their bikes daily, what is your average speed (without traffic), and what is your fastest speed you ever cycled?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 26715

Average 10mph & top speed 28mph, do you now feel superior?

gbb

Legendary Member
It's always a shock when you think you've really improved, upped your speeds and averages...then someone passes you, seemingly with ease.
I'm long past caring about speed now but between the ages of 45 and 52 ish, I got my average speed up to 18.something mph over 50 mile rides. I was capable then and wanted it..and loved the pushing myself. You're right, at those speeds, you rarely get overtaken by solo riders....but once in a while, like I said, someone rides up to you, chats with no breathlessness, then says...must get on...and rides off Into the distance :whistle:
Top speed ?...I'm a chicken now, never been over high 30mph anyway theres nothing round here really to allow you to go any faster. I get speed shimmy now as soon as i look at a hill:laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Slightly faster than @Drago
I average 54mph and once broke the sound barrier.
Pah! I did that riding backwards sitting on the handlebars of a Chopper.

Last edited:
It's always a shock when you think you've really improved, upped your speeds and averages...then someone passes you, seemingly with ease.
I'm long past caring about speed now but between the ages of 45 and 52 ish, I got my average speed up to 18.something mph over 50 mile rides. I was capable then and wanted it..and loved the pushing myself. You're right, at those speeds, you rarely get overtaken by solo riders....but once in a while, like I said, someone rides up to you, chats with no breathlessness, then says...must get on...and rides off Into the distance :whistle:
Top speed ?...I'm a chicken now, never been over high 30mph anyway theres nothing round here really to allow you to go any faster. I get speed shimmy now as soon as i look at a hill:laugh:
Good job you live n Peterborough then :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Slightly faster than @Drago
I average 54mph and once broke the sound barrier.

Pretty sure I once hit Mach 2, although it was downhill so I'm not sure if that counts. I might have gone a bit quicker but I was on my Raleigh Chopper, rolling a fag, and the girlfriend was riding pillion and fiddling with my loose change, so I was a bit distracted.

Top Bottom