Just got a steep warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I considered this once, then realised I had two pairs of cycling shoes, a pair of running shoes, three pairs of work shoes, a pair of hiking boots, a pair of sandals, some wellies, a pair of gardening shoes, a pair of squash shoes...
You're therefore entitled to 2 cycling bikes, a running bike, 3 work bikes, a hikey bike, 2 hippy bikes, a wet weather bike, a peony pootler and a very tidy folding bike.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
The shoe analogy isn't really fair. Also, many women, like me, are not interested in shoes, handbags etc. You really do need several pairs of shoes for different occasions, whereas you don't really 'need' 9 bikes. And they take up a lot more room than another pair of shoes.

Having said that, if you can afford it without having to cut back on mutually shared stuff (like food or holidays), and a new bike would give you pleasure beyond the immediate rush of buying, and if another bike doesn't impinge on your shared space, then buy it. My OH wouldn't dream of telling me not to buy stuff, but I would certainly think about how another purchase of a large, space taking, or expensive, item would impinge on him. If anything though, it's me who encourages him to spend on things that I know he will enjoy but would he would think are a bit extravagant - hence the arrival of a new hybrid bike yesterday, and a £200 coffee maker, and yet another guitar, last year.

jay clock

Massive member
I considered this once, then realised I had two pairs of cycling shoes, a pair of running shoes, three pairs of work shoes, a pair of hiking boots, a pair of sandals, some wellies, a pair of gardening shoes, a pair of squash shoes...
mmmm I have got
Three pairs of road shoes
Winter MTB boots
Two pairs of regular MTB shoes
Two pairs of spd sandals
Old pair of touring shoes

So that is just 9!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've never understood this bravado about "it's your money", "buy another with the same paint job" etc etc. Seems people have quite different relationships with their other halves than I do.

We have always had a joint account and everything is paid out of this and everything is paid into this. We always check with each other if we want to spend a "significant" amount. And a bike would be significant

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I am amazed at the readiness of people to advise on other people's relationships.

In my experience, looking after your own relationship is difficult enough! ;)

For the record, we (myself and Mrs Boldonlad) operate a four bank account system:

1. Mrs Boldonlad, to spend or not as she wishes
2. Mine, to send or not, as I wish, but, mostly, spent on Mrs Boldonlad (well, that is what I tell her) ;)
3. Bills Account, to which we contribute to in proportion to our individual Income, and, as its name suggests, pays all bills etc
4. Holiday Account, to which we contribute equally, and, which pays for "holidays".

We would usually discuss any major (say more than £100) expenditure, but, would not prevent the other partner from indulging whatever whim, they had.

It has worked for 30+ years ;)

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I reckon you've got about the most sensible arrangement possible. The bills get paid, each person gets to spend their own money, and there aren't any rows about who spends too much or what they spend it on.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I reckon you've got about the most sensible arrangement possible. The bills get paid, each person gets to spend their own money, and there aren't any rows about who spends too much or what they spend it on.

Yes, well, we both had "partner disasters" before we met, so, we had learned a lesson or two ;)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I know plenty of people with previous "partner disasters" who fail to learn their lesson and go on to repeat the same mistake, with the same entirely predictable outcome, a second or third time.....

12boy

Guru
My wife loves food... cooking it, finding fresh and tasty veg, sending pictures of tasty meals, acquiring delicious things to prepare it with and eating it too. She cooks for others to express love and affection and at this point in our lives it is our biggest expense. I enjoy bikes and I can have as many as I can find room for, as well as parts and tools with her blessing. Like her, in a way, I enjoy finding and refurbishing bikes for people that matter to me. I guess I get the better deal because I eat very well and ride bikes I really enjoy.

Top Bottom