Just got a steep warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
To answer ColinJ's comment, i have the space and can afford it , £1550 in this case, but would not do it behind my wife's back as I believe in trusting one another in everything.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Some blokes just enjoy perpetuating the "I'm just a naughty schoolboy married to a version of my mother" stereotype.
Personally, I find it rather tiresome. I'm sure they don't really allow another adult human being to act like they are their parent so why do they think it is amusing to pretend that they do

It's a bit like the ones who talk about 'getting a weekend pass' to go away.

As if they're trapped, against their will. in a domestic situation, for which they never signed up, and from which they allegedly need rescuing.

It's rarely the case, when you actually enquire, they're usually getting just as much, if not more, free time, and spending money, than their SO.

If you can't behave, and communicate like a grown up, then howzabout don't get involved in a grown up relationship??

screenman

Legendary Member
It's a bit like the ones who talk about 'getting a weekend pass' to go away.

As if they're trapped, against their will. in a domestic situation, for which they never signed up, and from which they allegedly need rescuing.

It's rarely the case, when you actually enquire, they're usually getting just as much, if not more, free time, and spending money, than their SO.

If you can't behave, and communicate like a grown up, then howzabout don't get involved in a grown up relationship??

I was not grown up when I got involved in ours, over 46 years ago.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We have discussed this many times and both feel lucky to have found the other so young in life and are growing old together, note growing old not growing up.

I have to confess being relieved to have reach fifty.

They reckon if you've not grown up by then, it's too late to start. :angel:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ, I would never buy something for myself if it made my wife unhappy, Pam is far and away more important than a few lumps of metal and rubber. I imagine most happy relationships work much the same way.
No, quite right, but what baffles me is WHY a partner would be bothered about it if money and storage space were not problems.

Actually, since my other post, I did think of a logical reason why a partner might object. If there were an agreement that the couple should live a frugal, more 'green' lifestyle then I think it would be reasonable to point out that having 37 bikes is not actually that green and certainly isn't frugal!

"How about giving an extra £2,000 to Help The Aged instead?" sounds a lot more acceptable than "Don't you DARE buy that!"

As @Julia9054 suggested above, having a partner act as a surrogate mum is not an appealing prospect. I loved my late mum to bits, but I don't want someone to act in her place and treat me as if I am back at school!

screenman

Legendary Member
No, quite right, but what baffles me is WHY a partner would be bothered about it if money and storage space were not problems.

Actually, since my other post, I did think of a logical reason why a partner might object. If there were an agreement that the couple should live a frugal, more 'green' lifestyle then I think it would be reasonable to point out that having 37 bikes is not actually that green and certainly isn't frugal!

"How about giving an extra £2,000 to Help The Aged instead?" sounds a lot more acceptable than "Don't you DARE buy that!"

As @Julia9054 suggested above, having a partner act as a surrogate mum is not an appealing prospect. I loved my late mum to bits, but I don't want someone to act in her place and treat me as if I am back at school!

I did not get on with the woman who gave birth to me, I do though get on extremely well with the person I am married to.

Verbatim transcript of actual conversation overheard at local cycling cafe:

So, how many bikes have you got then?

Just the twenty.

TWENTY?!!!

Yes, I had to whittle it down a bit.

!!!

There was no room in the kitchen. . . . Or in the bedroom.

(BTW I think the bloke is single -though I may possibly be wrong . . .)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No, quite right, but what baffles me is WHY a partner would be bothered about it if money and storage space were not problems.!

Because one or other partner considers themselves to be the Boss, and should have control over where money gets spent?
I take the view that once the household bills are jointly covered, what each partner spends their own earned money on is entirely their own business and they should not have to justify themselves to anyone else, let alone seek permission to make purchases.
There's no way I would entertain the idea of joint money, beyond paying domestic overheads - irrespective of who earns the most.
A workmate of mine has a wife who comes from a moneyed background and owns a large, very valuable property. He could pack in work and live off her if he wanted but he doesn't. He still owns a small property he already had before they met, still works, and he pays his own way day to day. He spends his money how he wants, and his other half does the same. Neither interferes with each others decisions and they have a harmonious, argument-free relationship.

Top Bottom