Just got a steep warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Each to his or her own. We have a bank account. All money goes in there. It is our money. We pay all the bills from this account. We can both spend what we want as long as we have the money to do so, but we always consult each other when spending anything over £100.

We have done it this way for 46 years. :okay:
Same
In the 28 years we've been together I've probably earned 90% of the money we've spent. But we're a team and I don't begrudge that one iota.
We could have set up some system so that I ended up with most of the surplus cash as I had earned it, but what would be the point of that?
Going back to @Julia9054 point, it seems quite a few men grew up happily as mummy's boys and subconsciously want a partner who reminds them of their mother. Hence the "weekend pass" "SWMBO" nonsense

Venod

Eh up
Going back to @Julia9054 point, it seems quite a few men grew up happily as mummy's boys and subconsciously want a partner who reminds them of their mother. Hence the "weekend pass" "SWMBO" nonsense

I think too much is being read into these phrases, I know a few blokes who use these, but its just blokes banter, infact some of them use it as a term of enderment and none of them would regard the other half as the boss they would regard them equals.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think too much is being read into these phrases, I know a few blokes who use these, but its just blokes banter, infact some of them use it as a term of enderment and none of them would regard the other half as the boss they would regard them equals.
Maybe, but it's interesting that you never hear women making similarly banterish references about their male partners. Is that cos women don't do banter (err.....no) or is it some other reason? Maybe cos women don't look for a father replacement in their partners?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Quite. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Maybe, but it's interesting that you never hear women making similarly banterish references about their male partners. Is that cos women don't do banter (err.....no) or is it some other reason? Maybe cos women don't look for a father replacement in their partners?
Speaking as a person with a wife, and four daughters, I wouldn’t be so sure about that, ie, women and banter.

A good relationship is not a war, but, a little humour helps, IMHO, of course ;)

BigMeatball

Ask her how many pairs of shoes she has, and whatever the answer offer to buy her another pair even thou they can't all be worn at the same time,
Not really a fair argument as shoes are relatively cheaper compared to bikes

Julia9054

Guru
To be fair, you do amongst women talking. It goes along the lines of referring to their partners/husbands as if they are another, over indulged child in addition to the children they already have.
I find this style of female "banter" equally as annoying as the Male SWMBO version

Julia9054

Guru
Not when Mrs Slick is buying. :eek:
Ah yes. The tiresome bikes are toys for men, shoes are for women trope. Yawn.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Quite common in the North East for the woman in a relationship to deal with financial matters.

Several men I know have told me how in the days of weekly cash pay packets they would give the envelope to their partner and wait to be given some spending money from it.

In a conversation about bills, a common remark you will hear is: "She deals with all that."

I don't think the men who behave in that way are suffering from any sort of Oedipus complex, it's just a tradition that all things domestic and financial are the responsibility of the woman.

Of course, some feminists will moan about that, and there's no doubt those same men wouldn't reckon to do a lot of washing up or cleaning.

But at least the woman is being given significant responsibility for finance.

BigMeatball

Quite common in the North East for the woman in a relationship to deal with financial matters.

Several men I know have told me how in the days of weekly cash pay packets they would give the envelope to their partner and wait to be given some spending money from it.

Men in the North East must be monkeys then?

Unable to deal with financial matters? How so? Can't do simple maths or would just spend all the wages on ales?

Either way, my sympathy goes to those poor women in the North East :laugh:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Men in the North East must be monkeys then?

Unable to deal with financial matters? How so? Can't do simple maths or would just spend all the wages on ales?

Either way, my sympathy goes to those poor women in the North East :laugh:
“Quite common” does not equate to “all”.

My life experience suggests that incompetence is not defined by age, race, religion, gender, or, location. ;)

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think some men (not all) and those of a certain age may not be comfortable trying to pay bills online. They may feel out of their depth using comparison sites, dealing with companies etc. This may contribute to them leaving the bill paying and general finance keeping to their spouses.

Top Bottom