Just got a steep warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The other common problem with men having the money is they can happily blow it on Fridays gambling drinking buying bikes ect..
Women tend to have sense and like having a house to live in and feeding the family.

So there is that:smile:. Works the other way too but it's usually selfish men

I still feel guilty sometimes, spending my own spare money and time, purely on my own enjoyment.

But I'm getting much better at it - with practice :angel:

Having said that, I still get a lot of enjoyment from being generous towards others, with my resources too.

It's all about finding a reasonable balance I guess.

And being as fair, and as honest as possible, about what's going on :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Many miners and shipyard workers had the good sense to realise they were not cut out to deal with figures, bills, contracts and so on.

My old man took no interest in the household finances whatsoever. He didn't consider that it was his responsibility, but was my mum's. When he got his wages (paid in cash of course), he would take out his beer money first, then give the rest of it to my mum, who was expected to pay the bills, get the shopping, and deal with all financial matters. Any money left over after that, was her spending money.

BigMeatball

I prefer having a joint account for household expenses and then having a personal account for my own expenses.

I found this to be the best way to avoid arguments and for the relationship to be completely egalitarian.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
My mum was always in charge of the money in our working class home and my dad 'tipped up' and was given spending money, even when they were both working. He knew about the savings accounts and purchases etc though. They have both passed on, but I find it odd that with my middle class in-laws, both mid 80's, the fil is the one who deals with the money. Mil has no idea about what they have, savings, bills etc. and does not have, or would know how to use, a cash point card. I guess part of it is that we were always skint so my mum needed to watch every penny.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My mum was always in charge of the money in our working class home and my dad 'tipped up' and was given spending money, even when they were both working. He knew about the savings accounts and purchases etc though. They have both passed on, but I find it odd that with my middle class in-laws, both mid 80's, the fil is the one who deals with the money. Mil has no idea about what they have, savings, bills etc. and does not have, or would know how to use, a cash point card. I guess part of it is that we were always skint so my mum needed to watch every penny.

The problem comes when the one who has sole competency in a particular area passes away.

You still hear of widowers being baffled by the intracacies of a washing machine, or boiling an egg.:eek:

I imagine such phenomena will become increasingly rare as time goes on, and set roles are less clearly defined.

My parents both had their own personal bank accounts, and both worked full time.

I've always operated the same way in relationships.

Once the household costs are divided reasonably equitably.

Any spare money is for the person who earned it to spend.

I've not had a relationship with someone who has ever earned a great deal more or less than me, or had wildly differing spending habits, so I'm not sure if that happenstance would change the shared spending dynamic.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've not had a relationship with someone who has ever earned a great deal more or less than me, or had wildly differing spending habits, so I'm not sure if that happenstance would change the shared spending dynamic.

Surely it would? Mrs Roubaix went through a significant period of earning far less than me, and that's close to universal for couples with children.

In those circumstances, splitting the bills and "spare money is for the person who earned it to spend" would be very far from equitable.

We just put all our earnings into the same account, pay all bills from it, and agree all out of the ordinary purchases. Works for us.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Surely it would? Mrs Roubaix went through a significant period of earning far less than me, and that's close to universal for couples with children.

In those circumstances, splitting the bills and "spare money is for the person who earned it to spend" would be very far from equitable.

We just put all our earnings into the same account, pay all bills from it, and agree all out of the ordinary purchases. Works for us.

Sure every relationship is different.

And if one person forgoes an earned income to stay home and look after children, or house full time, then it would only be fair that the other earning person sees to it they get a fair share of spending money.

I was very frugal with money when I had young kids.. Lots of 'make do and mend', hand- me-downs, and low, or zero cost activities, plus I had a part time job.

As soon as the youngest was at school I started up my businesses, and have been working full time ever since.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
The problem comes when the one who has sole competency in a particular area passes away.

You still hear of widowers being baffled by the intracacies of a washing machine, or boiling an egg.:eek:

I imagine such phenomena will become increasingly rare as time goes on, and set roles are less clearly defined.

OH and his siblings are trying to encourage mil to get a grasp of their financials as, as you say, should she be left alone it will make things very difficult when it comes to paying bills, moving money around etc. I would imagine it's not uncommon in elderly couples that one assumes responsibility for money and bills, whereas most younger folk are used to having dealt with finances before they married.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... whereas most younger folk are used to having dealt with finances before they married.
I think that rising housing costs are causing many younger folk to stay at home until their 30s and leave it all to mum and dad! :whistle:

I don't want to get bogged down into the household-division-of-labour-vs-income debate or any attempt to be reductive about who is in charge of the money or who does chores or who should pay what, I just want to go back to the OP.

I happened to mention to my wife that I was in the mood to buy another bike and her response was: " Don't you dare, you have three already, how many can you ride at the same time?" Oh dear, shall I crawl back into my hole?

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :okay:

I don't want to get bogged down into the household-division-of-labour-vs-income debate or any attempt to be reductive about who is in charge of the money or who does chores or who should pay what, I just want to go back to the OP.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :okay:

A bit late

A wise man once said....its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission..:okay:

Top Bottom