Just got a steep warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because one or other partner considers themselves to be the Boss, and should have control over where money gets spent?
I take the view that once the household bills are jointly covered, what each partner spends their own earned money on is entirely their own business and they should not have to justify themselves to anyone else, let alone seek permission to make purchases.
There's no way I would entertain the idea of joint money, beyond paying domestic overheads - irrespective of who earns the most.
A workmate of mine has a wife who comes from a moneyed background and owns a large, very valuable property. He could pack in work and live off her if he wanted but he doesn't. He still owns a small property he already had before they met, still works, and he pays his own way day to day. He spends his money how he wants, and his other half does the same. Neither interferes with each others decisions and they have a harmonious, argument-free relationship.
What's your partner's viewpoint on multiple bikes? Or you having joint finances?
What if your partner did not work which I think is the situation with @screenman wife if I recall (wife and mother). She shouldn't get anything beyond the housekeeping and birthday/Christmas gifts unless she pleads a need for something?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
That is quite a bit though; until late last year my whole bike collection cost under £1550
I respect your choice but, personally, when it comes to bikes, I don't like buying second hand. All my bikes were bought brand new.

12boy

Guru
In 1987 I wanted to get promoted which required moving to a little town in South Dakota 750 miles away from Denver Colorado where all my wife's family and our friends were. She informed me if we moved to this place she would never work again. She's kept her word over 2 more moves and 30 years. We've lived on my earnings and she has been a fulltime homemaker, mom, advocate for the kids and put up with my BS. No doubt in my mind she has earned equal shares in our income. Probably worked harder than me as well.

D

Deleted member 26715

But worried but I guess I am included.
Not at all, you've been married 46 years, we've been married a mere 37 years, but together 5 years before that, are the ones posting the absurdities even in a relationship, other than with that own hand?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Each to his or her own. We have a bank account. All money goes in there. It is our money. We pay all the bills from this account. We can both spend what we want as long as we have the money to do so, but we always consult each other when spending anything over £100.

We have done it this way for 46 years. :okay:

Julia9054

Guru
Not at all, you've been married 46 years, we've been married a mere 37 years, but together 5 years before that, are the ones posting the absurdities even in a relationship, other than with that own hand?
You are assuming we can all somehow tell what you consider "the absurdities" to be.

Levo-Lon

Guru
When i was buying and selling motorcycles my wife used to say "at least while your happy changing them im safe"

I'm still the same with my bikes.
The main difference is i always lose mony selling bicycles, there the most stone things ever.
Bar pcp car purchases of course :laugh:, i dont do that anymore :okay:

My wife has never said No and I've never said No to her.
That said we do discuss expenditure at great lengths...

And just a point of order, i have loads of shoes and coats:laugh: which my wife finds funny

I suppose I am in a position where I can talk. I have got 13 British road bikes, mainly old steel ones. I have got some mountain bikes and 2 tandems in bits .
Most of my bikes I have been given or have retrieved them from a skip having felt sorry for them .

I managed to sell one bike last year and gave one to my daughter but still managed to replenish my stock by buying 2 more . :whistle:

I managed to ride 11 of my cycles throughout last year so some of them got an airing and it was nice to be able to swap them around a bit .
It also lessens the wear that each one gets .:whistle:

I think in terms of costs I haven't spent a great deal. I think a couple of hundred for bikes plus the extras such as brakes and wheels . I went a bit over my hobbies budget for the year. One good thing though is that most of the parts are interchangeable so that I can always swap parts over if needed.
I thought that my collection was complete but I have seen something shiny which is tempting me ! :whistle:

Oh ! By the way . My wife bought a new bike for her to ride a few years ago . I have fitted a smaller crank to make it rideable . It is horrible!
She has only ridden it a few yards .
It has some nice tyres ! :whistle:

tom73

Guru
I'm free to have has many bikes as I want as long as funds allow. But I am under a current ban as we don't have room for any more (just yet :whistle:) Currently 4 inc one that's Mrs 73 bike. Saying that I don't just buy one like most bigger ticket things we talk about it.
Guess I'm lucky Mrs 73 is more than supportive she knows being on a bike is good for me.
Saying that if I even dare try and fettle her beloved FX3 then I'm in trouble ;).
Guess you will just have work on it like everything else in a relationship and she may change her mind but then again do they ever :laugh:.

Top Bottom