Just got my new Triban 540 flat bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Nothing quite like picking up your new bike....even though I can't ride it yet until I've recovered from a bug.

I picked up a brand new Triban 540 flat bar road bike earlier after giving up on my 5 year old Spesh Sirrus, which seems to have developed a terminal front mech, chain ring, gear changing problem.

IMG_20180314_122216314.jpg

IMG_20180314_122235765.jpg

IMG_20180314_130041700.jpg

After looking on EBay and elsewhere, and reading reviews of various bikes, I decided to go for the Triban, which would have been more expensive if it had been a dropped bar version, but I wanted a flat bar for work, so happy days. Decided to go for the 540 as it is Tiagra 10 x 2, as opposed to the 520 which is Sora 9 x 3, but both get excellent reviews and are often said to be unbeatable value for the money you spend.

It looks like the 540 flat bar is being discontinued as there are very few remaining available and I was very impressed with the excellent customer service at Decathlon in Huyton in Liverpool where the staff member I dealt with went the extra mile to find one my size in stock elsewhere and have it shipped over, despite the website saying there weren't any available.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride it yet as I have had a rasping sore throat all week and generally feel cack, and don't want to risk making that worse by exerting myself, but can't wait to get out on it.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks very good, I have suggested the 520 to a few people in recent months as that appears a great spec on paper but this with the tiagra should be even better.

Are you ok with the 2x10?

Like User46386 said, I wouldn't have thought your Sirrus was really in need of much to resolve the gear issue. Such a minor fault would rarely render a bike irreparable.

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

I am used to 2 x 10, and actually thought about getting the 9 x 3 version because my other bikes are 2 x 10 and it would have been something different, but eventually went for the Tiagra because it is supposed to be the next step up from Sora and was only £20 more, in addition one or two of the other components were slight upgrades.

Fair comment re a mech being less expensive to replace than a whole bike, but I have had a nightmare with the Sirrus for about 4 months now, which I described in the linked thread below, but if I am being wholly truthful with myself, I suppose through frustration, I did opt for the n+1 opportunity a bit sooner than I might have otherwise done :biggrin:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/n...ween-the-front-chainrings.231254/post-5181756

Mrs M

Guru
Very smart :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
By the way, I noticed the description of the bike says 25mm tyres but the spec states 28mm, which is it?

I love my Randonneur tyres. I have a 32 & 35 mm set and find them to be tough, puncture resistant, fast and well behaved in all conditions. Can't really see me using any other tyre for the commute and road work unless they change/stop making them.

www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-flat-bar-road-bike-tiagra-id_8322798.html

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

By the way, I noticed the description of the bike says 25mm tyres but the spec states 28mm, which is it?

I love my Randonneur tyres. I have a 32 & 35 mm set and find them to be tough, puncture resistant, fast and well behaved in all conditions. Can't really see me using any other tyre for the commute and road work unless they change/stop making them.

www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-flat-bar-road-bike-tiagra-id_8322798.html

I noticed that myself, the bike has come with 28mm tyres fitted. Good to hear you have a high opinion of the tyres, I have fitted gatorskins to one of my road bikes and gp 4 seasons to the winter one, will be interesting to see if I notice the difference myself.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
540s are good. I never paid full RRP on mine as i got it on Ebay. Previous owner only had it less than 6 months and used it as a training bike but felt he needed something more racey to train on.

One thing i do recommend is changing the brakes if youre going to be out in all weathers. The stock tektro's i had on mine were absolutely woeful in the wet and even with the pads changed to the black Kool Stop pads it was still a cause for worry when wet. I even slammed into the back of a car at 23mph because the bike wouldn't stop when it was raining.

Some people are happy with the Tektro's. I was most certainly not. Currently running a set of Shimano R451 brake calipers with Kool Stop Dura pads which have done me well in all weathers.

I believe the flatbar uses the same frame as the dropbar version.

Top Bottom