Just got my new Triban 540 flat bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Very nice.

2 × 10 might take a bit of getting used to , but who needs granny gears anyway.

I do !!

I looked at Tribans in Decathlon Surrey Quays , certainly looked good for the price ,

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
540s are good. I never paid full RRP on mine as i got it on Ebay. Previous owner only had it less than 6 months and used it as a training bike but felt he needed something more racey to train on.

One thing i do recommend is changing the brakes if youre going to be out in all weathers. The stock tektro's i had on mine were absolutely woeful in the wet and even with the pads changed to the black Kool Stop pads it was still a cause for worry when wet. I even slammed into the back of a car at 23mph because the bike wouldn't stop when it was raining.

Some people are happy with the Tektro's. I was most certainly not. Currently running a set of Shimano R451 brake calipers with Kool Stop Dura pads which have done me well in all weathers.

I believe the flatbar uses the same frame as the dropbar version.
Thanks for the tip re the brakes. The calipers are marked Shimano. They appear to be the same as those on my Ribble, which have seemed less than sharp at times on a fast descent so perhaps a cheap Shimano model. Useful to be aware of the potential problem. I am pretty certain you are right about the frame, the flat bar is a bot cheaper than dropbar though, which suited me as I specifically wanted the flatbar version.

Thanks for the tip re the brakes. The calipers are marked Shimano. They appear to be the same as those on my Ribble, which have seemed less than sharp at times on a fast descent so perhaps a cheap Shimano model. Useful to be aware of the potential problem. I am pretty certain you are right about the frame, the flat bar is a bot cheaper than dropbar though, which suited me as I specifically wanted the flatbar version.
That’s because the drop bar comes with Shimano 5800 11 speed groupset. The calipers on the flat bar are from an earlier lower spec Shimano groupset. There’s no problem with them, in my experience, as long as you fit decent brake blocks.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Smart bike. It looks quick.

I need to find something inexpensive for no1 son seeing as I sold his 650c road bike (of which he'd grown out). Maybe something like this!

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

Smart bike. It looks quick.

I need to find something inexpensive for no1 son seeing as I sold his 650c road bike (of which he'd grown out). Maybe something like this!

Took it out this afternoon and found it is quite quick. Probably not as quick as my dropped bar bikes, but on this you are in a more upright position causing a bit more wind resistance, and they don't have the added weight of the rack I have had fitted to the new bike. But it certainly shifts when you want it to.

I think the 540 flat bar has been discontinued (or they are going to introduce an updated version) because there were very few available, but the staff member at Decathlon went out of his way to find one for me. If you are looking for something similar for your son, you might want to consider the 520 flat bar; it was a close call for me between the 540 and 520 which gets an A1 review from Cycling Weekly:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/hybrid-bikes/btwin-triban-520-flat-bar

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/hybrid-bikes-buyers-guide-206065

Rock bus

Über Member
Check out the b’twin owners group on Facebook....best one on there!

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

Superb bike ,bullet proof tiagra, which looks just like ultegra in the new colour design.
Rack looks great too
Thanks, the rack is a B'twin as well. It probably adds a bit of weight, as will the bag it will carry, so it might be a tad slower than without those things, but I got it to be a workhorse and pleasure bike rather than a fast one, but should still be pretty quick.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Thanks, the rack is a B'twin as well. It probably adds a bit of weight, as will the bag it will carry, so it might be a tad slower than without those things, but I got it to be a workhorse and pleasure bike rather than a fast one, but should still be pretty quick.

Who needs to chase times when there's scenery to take in..leve the head down strava chasers to get on with it:smile:

That’s because the drop bar comes with Shimano 5800 11 speed groupset. The calipers on the flat bar are from an earlier lower spec Shimano groupset. There’s no problem with them, in my experience, as long as you fit decent brake blocks.

Not all the stuff is that though, but I am fine now with it. The chainrings on the drop bar 540 are RS stuff as opposed to everything being 105 5800. On riding this model I could not tell the difference. The gears are very smooth. Have not encountered any brake issue as yet, but only been out twice so far and that was in dry weather. I will keep in mind what has been mentioned about braking in wet weather.

Nice bike BTY Roadhump :okay:

Top Bottom