Just had bike serviced.......good value IMO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
not bad for a full service. my LBS charges £60 for a full service and that includes having the components stripped off the bike, (degreased) washed in an 'eco-parts-washer' and wheel truing.

I try to do all the small jobs myself if I possibly can but there are some things I dont know how to do so take it for a mini service which is £30 or just to have it looked at which they charge £5 for. I usually know what needs doing so i point it out and they do it there and then if its just a small job.

Im happy paying a for a £60 service once every year.

They also have a 'strip down' service that costs £130 and everything is removed from the bike and all the bearings & cables (EVERYTHING) etc etc is replaced as well as chucking the bike into their 'eco-parts-washer™'

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
not bad for a full service. my LBS charges £60 for a full service and that includes having the components stripped off the bike, (degreased) washed in an 'eco-parts-washer' and wheel truing.

™'
I am with you on that.
Although I didn't get them to itemise every single thing I do know they check and realign all the important bits.
I do perhaps 1500/2000 miles per year (chicken feed to many on here) so I consider tow pence per mile acceptable to give me complete confidence.
I will say..........the ride is very smooth.

wormo

Guru
I was chatting to a club mate who has been working at Ron's for a fortnight as their mechanic covering for the usual guy. He normally works for himself as a mechanic. He is very meticulous.

ChrisEyles

Guru
It is really nice getting a bike back from the LBS after a service with the shifting and brakes all tuned up. If you don't have the time or inclination to do it yourself, and have the spare cash I think it's well worth the money. I've also learnt quite a lot from some of the mechanics who've given my bike a once over, which is always worth the money in itself.

Unfortunately I'm too skint at the moment for that so have to do all my own fettling.... most of the time it is enjoyable but there are some jobs I'm not looking forward to, like truing the wheels on my commuter or re-packing the hubs on my MTB. It probably takes me almost as long to do these jobs myself than it would to earn the money to pay someone else to do it!

Drago

Legendary Member
Alas, even were In inclined to do so to lift a bike onto the roof of the car, strap it down, drive 12 miles to the LBS, find somewhere to park, unload bike, walk it to shop, walk back to car, and drive home, I could have service the bike myself and saved the stress of driving :sad:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Although that may be your nearest bike shop (or the nearest one you trust), I would argue that 12 miles is not a local bike shop.

I'm lucky that I have two within a fifteen minute walk, one of which is particularly good.

screenman

Legendary Member
Although that may be your nearest bike shop (or the nearest one you trust), I would argue that 12 miles is not a local bike shop.

I'm lucky that I have two within a fifteen minute walk, one of which is particularly good.

Until recently my nearest was 11 miles away, maybe you live in a different area to some of us.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got 3 in my small town, the closest (and best) is a mile away, so I'm possibly quite lucky.

Like @ChrisEyles I'll do some of the jobs myself, and if I applied myself (reading the maintenance manuals, and watching a YouTube tutorial) I could theoretically do any job. However for the more involved work and complex or fiddly jobs, the time itself is worth far more to me than the few quid the LBS mechanic might charge me. As an example, routing new internal cables in a big carbon frame would annoy the bejesus out of me and might take me an hour or two of cussing, but for a few quid the mechanic will do it better and quicker, and my hour or two could be spent more constructively. Time versus money, an age old equation!

robgul

Legendary Member
I can't believe that you got an awful lot for the £40 . . . here in the Midlands the typical range of services are with 3 options at around £40/60/100 (plus parts) :

Bronze
  • Brakes checked and adjusted (new pads fitted if required)
  • Gear cables oiled and gears reset (cables replaced if needed)
  • Cranks removed and re-greased
  • Tyres checked and inflated to the correct pressure (replaced if required)
  • Bike wiped down with degreaser
  • Lubrication as required
Silver
  • Full bike clean
  • Seatpost removed, greased and re-fitted
  • Wheels trued and hubs serviced (bearings replaced if required)
  • Tyres checked and inflated to the correct pressure (replaced if required)
  • Brakes checked and adjusted (new pads fitted if needed)
  • Gear cables oiled and gears correctly indexed and adjusted. (cables replaced if required)
  • Bottom bracket removed, frame re-greased crank cleaned and re-installed
  • Headset removed cleaned and re-greased
Gold
  • Full bike clean
  • Seatpost removed, cleaned re-greased and re-fitted
  • Bike stripped down to the frame. Frame thoroughly cleaned and inspected for damage or wear
  • The full drive system is stripped including pedals, chainset, bottom bracket, chain, cassette and both derailleurs. All cleaned and refitted or replaced if necessary
  • Wheels trued and hubs services and re-greased (bearings replaced if necessary)
  • Tyres checked and inflated to the correct pressure (Replaced if required)
  • Brakes checked and adjusted (new pads fitted if required)
  • Gear cables stripped and outer cables trimmed and lubed as required then gears properly adjusted and indexed
  • Headset stripped out, cleaned and re-greased then re-assembled
Rob

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My roadie has just had a 'bronze' service at Evans, as I was having a few problems that I didn't feel confident sorting out. I'm a little underwhelmed actually. The gears were shifting better before it went, more smoothly. They have replaced the gear and brake cables (the sales assistant snipped the extra length of cable off as the workshop chap didn't).
As I picked the bike up, while out with a friend, we walked it back to hers so I didn't notice the non smooth shifting until after closing time. I might just drop them a polite email.

Top Bottom