Just ordered a Trek Domane 4.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kev ducky

Regular
After weeks of reading forums, reviews etc, I went to the bike & triath show at the weekend. I decided to get the Trek Domane 2.0. I then tried the Domane 4.0 which is a carbon frame and opted for that. After telling my mate that it had tiagra groupset, he told me to cancel the order.

This is my first road bike in 40 yrs, I completely confused. I must admit that when I tried the 2.0, the gears were clicking a bit in a high gear. The salesman explained that would be sorted when the new bikevwas built

Anyone have an opinion. The cost is £1250

Lee_M

Guru
i have the domane 5.2 and love love love it, really light really comfy

dont listen to your mate, hes just jealous, so it has tiagra? so what, if you want you can upgrade, but tbh i doubt any of us can reallly tell the difference

ive had more bother setti up my ultegra than i ever had with the sora i used to have

OP
OP
K

Kev ducky

Regular
I,ve just noticed something else. I went in to look at the domane. I want comfort rather than speed. After riding that, I asked if I could try one in carbon. The one they gave me had 105s. I have just looked at my receipt & it says I have order a Madone 3.1.

Need to ph 1st thing.

Hi kev, i have just ordered a 5.2 Domane. A Domane is comfy AND fast. I spent months researching the net for reviews and posts. I just checked the price and spec on the 4.0. I think that is an awesome bike for the money.
The Isospeed is no gimmik. That frame with BB90 is so good for the price. Upgrade the drive train at your leisure if you feel the need.

Lee_M

Guru
yep i think vickster is right, and i agree with johnycat, the domane is supremely comfortable,

OP
OP
K

Kev ducky

Regular
An e-mail from a mate of mine says '' Oh you would mate, I had tiagra on an earlier bike and now I have 105. Its called passing on experience. He's knobbled you. We both told you it's not the frame that makes the bike. You may have a trek but it may as well be one of halfords 300 quid racers''

As I would struggle to see the difference between a cyclocross and a road bike, I haven't a clue.

As my budget is limited to £1250 max. Should I order the Domane 2.3 ( Aluminium with 105) or Domane (Carbon with Tiagra which is £270 more expensive)

HELP!!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Your "friend" is as thick as pig shoot............. he couldn't be more wrong. The frame is exactly what makes the bike!

If you have the budget, take the better frame and live with the downgraded components until you want to upgrade. A great frame will stay with you for years, components come and go.

If he says otherwise, tell him "some guy called Rob on the internet says you are a tosser and to STFU giving advice until you know what you are on about".

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Your mate is wrong. Get the 4.0, upgrade (if you wish) bits and bobs later on. And Tiagra 4600 (10 speed) is apparently a big step up from earlier versions anyway.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BTW, when he says "we both told you....." who is both? Do you have more than 1 "friend" that is a clueless doofus? If so, you should take turns beating each one of them with the other!

OP
OP
K

Kev ducky

Regular
LOL Rob. I will copy and paste that as two of them called me a numpty :smile: I have phoned Royles, they have actually ordered me a Madone 3.1 by mistake. I tried the Domane 2.0 and asked to try a Carbon. He gave me a madone and I didn't notice any difference over a couple of miles. No problem though, he will change it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are your friends experienced cyclists?

I honestly have no idea how they managed to flip what is common knowledge, i.e. a frame being what makes the bike into the opposite, lol!

I have NEVER been told otherwise and common sense says the frame is what makes the bike and differentiates it from other bikes (you can slap a top end groupset on a shoot frame if you want, the bike will still be crap). The groupset is a secondary concern and you are mostly paying for weight savings and marginally better shifting.

For what it is worth, I own bikes running both Shimano 105 (mid range Shimano) and SRAM Red (top end SRAM). I have owned and ridden a LOT (many thousands of miles) on Shimano Tiagra and it is a good groupset, it is not as light or as polished looks wise as the higher end kit, but it is functional and robust.

e-rider

crappy member
Is this thread serious? You haven't had a road bike in 40 years, but you are worried that Shimano Taigra is not good enough? Get real - are you Wiggins or something? It will be more than good enough for you and your cycling needs!

OP
OP
K

Kev ducky

Regular
Right. So you are saying, go for Carbon frame and Tiagra at £1270 rather than Alum and Tiagra at £850 or Alum & 105 at £977 ?

The carbon did feel less tiring but is it £420 better?

Top Bottom