Just Re Started Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cris S

Regular
Hello

I have just bought a road bike and some rollers so that I can do some training
indoors.

Now, I have not ridden a bike or used rollers for many many many years.

Gave the rollers a quick go this morning all be it with a bit of help with a nearby chest of drawers
just to rest one hand on until I get the knack of roller riding back, all went well no falling of, but the hand did stay just
gently rested and a step box to on side.

What I would like to know is seeing as I say I have had no real exercise for many many years how long
should I pedal for ? I assume until I feel I have had enough even if at the moment that is a very very short time ?

Was going to start with a low gear and just do some gentle peddling and work my way up.

The wife thinks I am going to fall off and my daughter is concerned I will give myself a heart attack.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Why not go out on the road? Do you have a HRM? That helps keeping a level of excercise.

Personally I do not think there is a anything better than having a set route and riding it. Doesn't have to be long, can be 1 or 2 miles and build on that. It depends on your current levle of fitness.

brockers

TBH I'd get an OK from your doc first if you're that worried. I have this sneaking suspicion that you want to get back to where you were (what, thirty years ago?) as fast as possible.

To echo LOCO, why not start with a gentle pootle down to the shops or along the path for twenty minutes, spinning a low gear. Increase your time by 10-15% a week. Hopefully, you have nothing to prove!

OP
OP
C

Cris S

Regular
TBH I'd get an OK from your doc first if you're that worried. I have this sneaking suspicion that you want to get back to where you were (what, thirty years ago?) as fast as possible.

To echo LOCO, why not start with a gentle pootle down to the shops or along the path for twenty minutes, spinning a low gear. Increase your time by 10-15% a week. Hopefully, you have nothing to prove!

Hello

I have no HRM, should I get one ?

Docs already told me to do twenty minutes or so exercise a day at least until I am puffing.

I really do not want to get back to where I was, just want to get a tad fitter loose a bit a weight etc.

The roads where I am are full of boy racers in hatchbacks, I really am trying to avoid riding a bike anywhere
near them. Then once onto the main roads these are full of the same plus buses lorries taxis etc, I really do not
to breathe in those fumes, now if was in the country I would be out now, I also do not drive so cannot throw the
bike into the car and drive to the country either.

brockers

It's unfortunate that you can't get out onto the roads.

By all means get an HRM, but they aren't entirely necessary. First off you'd need a ball park figure of your maximum heart rate, then you'd need to decide which particular set of training zones to work with using the Karvonen method or percentages of max heart rate. You'd be just as well off 'listening' to your body at first, and using PE (Borg Rating of Perceived Exertion)

OP
OP
C

Cris S

Regular
Hello

Started some roller training today after not riding a bike for some many years.

I seem at the moment to manage a 1 mile distance at about 14 - 16 mph, my body at that point has
sort of had enough, I could push on but I think it would make me feel a bit not to good, doing this at
the moment twice a day, morning & afternoon.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
TBH 1 mile @ 14-16mph is not enough twice daily, if you have had enough after what 4 minutes then your fitness is really on the floor. You would be far better off going much slower and for longer.

I assume the Doc suggested getting puffed out for reason?

One of the useless governemnt stats is 30 minutes at least 5 days a week.

Again being honest one of the major benefits of being out of the road is that it will be less easy to just give up and slump back on the sofa!

but I have no idea of your health so would not really want to blind advise you to get to your limit.

A HRM would help you hit and maintain around 75% of your max.

I ride regular now, but even now at the start of my commute I sometimes feel I have "had enough" one mile in, but by the time I am at work I feel great.

Top Bottom