Just started...nearly came a croper!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi all,

Im 29 and unfit, I decided the only way I could motivate myself properly would be to cycle to work and back (8 miles each way, 4 times a week). I also thought I would save a lot of money too.

So the last bicycle I owned was a mountain bike back when I was in my teens. In choosing a bike for the commute I was torn between a sort of hybrid and a road bike. I ended up going for the road bike because I thought that if I get right into this then I would want to swap a hyrid for a road bike, not vice versa.

Anyway, just took the bike for a spin and nearly went shooting over a junction at red lights!

My question is, how on earth do you QUICKLY break when your riding with your hands on top of the bars???? Im sure there is something im doing wrong as so many people use road bikes but it took me like 4 seconds to move my hands into the drops and break (almost lost balance shifting to the drops too).

Also I find the head down drops position quite frankly terrifying in heavy traffic.

Will this get easier or should I have gone for the hybrid.....?

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
rest your hands on the hoods (top of the brake levers) i find it easier than drops when braking.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
But then I cant easily change gears? Its gripshift and I change them a lot, so I assume my hands will predominantly be on top?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Sounds like you have an old Giant roadbike with drops but factory fitted with a modified Gripshift.
You could ask the bikeshop to change them to integrated brake/shifters

OT but as a newbie we recommend a read of Cyclecraft by John Franklin

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
No its a new bike, is this just going to be impossible then? Am I going to have to change the shifters? Also when will the feeling that im constantly going to be killed by traffic go away? :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
What bike model is it?

You do get used to traffic and stop feeling like you're risking your life, but its better to be thinking about what could go wrong rather than being complacent - Always best to assume you might not have been seen and that people might pull out on you etc.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
can you not flick the gear levers whilst resting on the hoods ?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Looks like sheddy was way ahead of us...

Its got gripshifters separate to the brakes, so youd have to move your hands either way. Probably better covering the brakes on hoods/drops and moving a hand to the gripshift to change, or seeing about changing that set up entirely.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Can you not get some brake extensions like the touring drops have, then you can brake just like you would on a hybrid, MTB...perhaps ask your LBS if thats possible.

My ride bud has a claud butler with a similar arrangement. His gears are on a rocker-kind of affair on the flats of the bars, he hits them with his knees occasionally and has to shift hand position all the time to shift gears. The trick for him is change one hand postiion at a time, then you always have a brake to hand.

Gez73

Veteran
I have Shimano Triple integrated shifters/brakes on my commuter and can comfortably manage the brakes when on the hoods. Always more important to be able to brake than change gears in a tricky situation. If you hit something or something hits you for the want of reaching your brakes it won't matter in the least what gear you were in! I'd consider changing from Gripshift anyway much more suited to flat bars, but practice and vigilance will serve you well. Gez

lordloveaduck

I had one of those (before i knew any better) from littlewoods. As it has been mentioned. It is just a case of moving your hands, when you want to break.

Top Bottom