Just when you thought electronic shifting was the ultimate.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My trike has Alfine rear hub which is electronic and can have manual or automatic. Auto gives far too high gearing so I stick to manual.
Not too sure about it and much too complicated for me to fix any problems which may arise.
I think I preferred the Ice trike with manual only changing.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Get ready for touchless shifting or even voice activated, plus more tech developments:

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/SRAM-Rapha-Assos-Hunt-Syncros-Pirelli-302661

Given there's a significant number of people who don't want to talk to AI bots, voice assistants or even answer the phone these days, I'm not convinced of the reasoning for voice activated anything other than assisting someone with a disability , it just sounds worse than a switch in most cases, but as already mentioned, if you don't patent it, you won't profit from it when someone does eventually build it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Other than it won't be working in 30 years when you can't replace the 'wires'.

Di2 yes, SRAM no - there aren't any wires.

There's a debate about open standards or licensing for electronic groupsets to open up the market to third party manufacturers and improve long-term supportability, but that's not what this thread is about.

If it's a proxy for another round of "isn't electronic shifting silly" then I'm tapping out. It's all been said soooooo many times already.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They are well-known for patenting all sorts of things with the suspicion being they are merely trying to insure they get a cut of the pie should anyone get the ideas to work and to market.
Just as well in some cases:

IMG_20230727_111018.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Like rim brakes getting a bike with cables is going to be harder to get.i know SRAM are going to support it for a while but for " budget conscious" aka skint folk like me it means running lower end stuff

Windle

Über Member
So if I say "What f@@@@@ng gear am I in, it will tell me lol

Normally when I've got to that stage it's the bottom one anyway ^_^

Top Bottom