Kajsa Tylen: The Billie Dovey 81 miles a day progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Some pics;

12717201_1014457098627005_6460727729584466119_n.jpg

12646992_1014457388626976_241353064896373861_n.jpg

12650917_1014457315293650_8354918391009927788_n.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do they carry laughing gas with them?

Nice to see superheros like Kajsa and Steve dont like rain either.
I thought I was just soft.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Slightly OT but does anyone have a link to the Guinness requirements? I did a quick search but didn't find them.

As far as I know - anecdotally from various sources - they are: Single bike frame, barring accidents; No drafting assistance; Start each day at yesterday's finish point; Need for a tracker? The UMCI need one, and Kasja has one, so I expect Guinness require it. Plus the ride logging and reporting procedures and associated bureaucacy.

I see Kajsa has had a few motorised transfers of not very far - for example she was not feeling well on the ride down to Malvern last week. I imagine the purpose of this rule is to stop people from choosing a route that starts at the top of a mountain, and ends at the coast and riding down it day after day, returning to the top each time by motorised transport. So I expect the short transfers (and her plans to go to continental Europe in the summer) are not affected by this.

The no-drafting rule is understandable enough. But it's a very significant difference between Guinness and UMCA. And it's a bit odd that Guinness have recognised Kurt's record with this disparity. Kasja said she was drafting (er ... I mean ... "composing") an email to Guinness to seek clarification.

It's hard to understand the reasoning behind the single bike rule. For example, if there were to be some hard winter weather, a rider might want to get out for a few miles on ice tyres, but a road frame wouldn't have clearance. And when it comes to servicing, Kajsa will have to have big-ish jobs like BB or headset service done overnight.

Last edited:
But it's a very significant difference between Guinness and UMCA. And it's a bit odd that Guinness have recognised Kurt's record with this disparity.
I agree, not all of Guinness's rules make a great deal of sense. The post-HAM'R ratification of Kurt's record however does make sense: they appreciated that the UMCA rules were different but agreed (with everybody!) that it wouldn't make sense to have two separate record books, with one Guinness record holder and one UMCA record holder. So they retrospectively accepted Kurt's UMCA record as also qualifying as a Guinness record. A logical and sportsmanlike outcome, I think.

That doesn't mean they will (or need to) change their rules to match the UMCA's, though.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was on the ride yesterday so I had the chance to ask about some of these issues. But I didn't really want to spoil the atmosphere, which was thoroughly pleasant throughout, and in the limited time available there seemed to be many more important things to talk about.

My interpretation (strictly that) of the things Kajsa did say about drafting in particular is that she is comfortable with the rules she's following and wouldn't want to be doing things differently. So I don't expect to hear Kajsa pressing for big changes.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My interpretation (strictly that) of the things Kajsa did say about drafting in particular is that she is comfortable with the rules she's following and wouldn't want to be doing things differently. So I don't expect to hear Kajsa pressing for big changes.

That is all well and good, but if someone else starts off in August drafting behind a motorhome, switching bikes etc they would be fairly sure to smash any record that Kajsa is setting. It seems to me that Guinness should stick to one set of rules.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It also makes it very hard for someone to challenge Kurt's male record for Guinness purposes when he had the luxury of drafting and a recumbent at times. I recall at one point he went thru 3 bikes in a day due to mechanicals. So if someone else breaks his HAMR record to HAMR rules, do Guinness sportingly accept that too?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Back in the real world it looks like Kajsa is in the process of putting in another ton, or at least a super-Dovey ride, going home from Malvern, and I can provide first hand report of the weather in the East Midlands: It is grey, blustery, and a bit rainy. Generally a bit yuk.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It also makes it very hard for someone to challenge Kurt's male record for Guinness purposes when he had the luxury of drafting and a recumbent at times. I recall at one point he went thru 3 bikes in a day due to mechanicals. So if someone else breaks his HAMR record to HAMR rules, do Guinness sportingly accept that too?

I dont think it makes it hard. It appears that if HAMR accept it then Guiness will also accept it.

If another lady wants to take this record on they would do well to follow the HAMR rules of changing bikes and drafting because it looks like Guiness will accept it, regardless of their own rules.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
"How can you have a tailwind for 107 miles?"

Er, you ride with the prevailing south west wind, ie in a north easterly direction, which is what Kajsa did.
I kinda got the impression that she may not have been a regular cyclist.

Top Bottom