Karrimor is short for Kite Armour!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Took a different track out today, after being told about a cycle path I didn't realise had been tarmac'ed, so could use my road bike. Got hold of a pair of Karrimor running tights to wear over my bib shorts, as couldn't get the bib tights I was after in time...and glad that it happened this way!

Wasn't the best day to use it, as damp overnight and lots of leaves there. So took it easy on a nice steady climb. Some random guy decided to draft behind me for a few miles, but not big deal. Turned a corner and a Red Kite crossed my path into the tree ahead of me and then decided to dive directly at me. Had to dodge it sharply and ended up taking the bike off the track and tumbling onto my arm and knee. Bike didn't have a scratch on it or any damage whatsoever, as it just dug into the deep grass/mud at side of track.

As I was dusting myself off, two squirrels went darting out from beside me. I guess I saved at least one of them this morning!

Was very careful indeed after that, and my speed took a hit, but was amazing scenery so didn't matter. Great to be out...

...until I took a guess on a road aiming more towards home and it turned out to be the steepest I have seen in a while, albeit a short distance. Dropped down to 2nd from lowest gear...and the torque sheered the rear derailleur hanger clean off. No fall this time though and spent an hour trying to get into some sort of semblance of normality for a limp home, only to decide to give the missus a call to come and collect. :smile:

Weird thing about it is that the Kite incident saw me fall to the left and so could not possibly have causing any damage to the gearing side in any sense.

Guy in the bike shop said that it does happen now and again and that the stay should be covered under the warranty. Phew!

400bhp

Guru
T ended up taking the bike off the track and tumbling onto my arm and knee. Bike didn't have a scratch on it or any damage whatsoever, as it just dug into the deep grass/mud at side of track.

..................and the torque sheered the rear derailleur hanger clean off..........

Guy in the bike shop said that it does happen now and again and that the stay should be covered under the warranty. Phew!

Hmmmmmm:whistle:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I am new to cycling after a long time away. Just telling you what the bike shop guy said. Might be not set up correctly instead?

I had not used the lowest 2 gears until today, as only used it on relative flat paths.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Had a pheasant fly up in my face but would need clean shorts if a red kite dived at me.^_^

Bad luck about the hanger, hope it gets sorted out quickly.

gbb

Legendary Member
TBF, I see loads of Kite, 20 + on one ride. Ive had them fly slowly and lazily alongside/above me, really close, quite spectacular... but i'd need clean shorts too if one decided to have a go.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
It all happened so fast and tbh I was quite in awe at first and suddenly realised that it had turned my way. Was too fast to worry about it.

Have handled big birds of prey a few times over the years so probably didn't think much of it at that first split second, then panicked!

James10

Got hold of a pair of Karrimor running tights to wear over my bib shorts, as couldn't get the bib tights I was after in time...and glad that it happened this w:smile:

Were these tights any good? Are they warm enough? Can they withstand some light rain? I was looking at the same ones, very tempted. Don't want to spend £50+ on bib tights.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Were these tights any good? Are they warm enough? Can they withstand some light rain? I was looking at the same ones, very tempted. Don't want to spend £50+ on bib tights.
I wore them over my bib shorts due to the lack of pad for obvious reasons. They have a windtex lining in the upper section roughly the area of the short, if not a little shorter. Lower areas are thinner and no windtex. They aren't bad tbh, once you get going, but can't see them being warm enough if it dropped 5 degrees. Depends what you want from them tbh. They are a stop gap for me, before getting proper bib tights.

Buckled

Weird thing about it is that the Kite incident saw me fall to the left and so could not possibly have causing any damage to the gearing side in any sense.

In my limited experience, clattering a bicycle into things like the ground or cars or hillsides while mounted can result in damage to any and every component regardless of its position relative to the soil, the crunch-point or the Moon.Crashing biffs things up and when you crash, you biff things. Cleats leave pedals and heels swing into stuff. You'll be telling the Red Kite story for years, so you are not the net loser in this matter. Glad you weren't hurt!

Top Bottom