keep calm and carry on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
its hard to escape noticing the number of tragic deaths that have occured in Britain and specifically in London over the last few weeks.

its awful news for those involved, related and connected...and my heart goes out to them.

But, please dont feel that this reflects the state of city roads in general.

many, many riders cycle through town all year without incident or issue.

keep it safe, keep it predictable and keep on cycling.

J

sorry, just felt i had to say that.

mustang1

Legendary Member
+1

Dont be sorry, i agree.

Totally agree, nothing sells better than bad news, plus adding in a few well worn stereotypes or scapegoats. Love every minute of my cycling and hope others also do

spen666

Legendary Member
In nearly every accident, it is apparent that cyclists could have done more to ensure their safety.

That is not to say cyclists are at fault for the accident.

However, it is better to be safe than to be dead right!

Too many road users (cyclists, pedestrians, mortorists etc) are in too much of a rush and do not pay enough attention to the dangers around them or the dangers they cause to others.

The streets of our cities are not safe for people to travel as fast as they can.

Take your time and give yourself more time to see/ hear / sense the dangers around you.

So what if it is your right of way etc, better to be safe than dead right

Oh & check your lights (if you have any). Too many cyclists are riding with no lights/ lights that can barely be seen from a distance, or lights on bags that point to the sky or lights on bikes that are obscurred by racks/ mudguards . bags etc.

We can't eliminate all dangers (by our selves) but we can reduce the risks on the road.

In nearly every accident, it is apparent that cyclists could have done more to ensure their safety.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn't even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with..nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

Keep your ill-informed garbage to yourself.

spen666

Legendary Member
The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn't even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with..nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

Keep your ill-informed garbage to yourself.

Your attitude is one of the many reasons why so many cyclists and pedestrians are killed and seriously injured.

It is not worth being dead right.

Take steps to protect from yourselves is something those who are sensible do.

If you want to just blame everything on everyone else and fail to realise that there are things you can do to reduce the risk to you, then more fool you.

you clearly cannot comprehend what i posted. I did not say that cyclists were to blame, in fact I specifically said I was not saying cyclists were to blame.

Its a bit like seeing a car driving towards you on a footpath and standing still. I mean the car driver is in the wrong for driving on the footpath. I'm afraid that isn't going to save you when the car hits you. The sensible person seeing a car speeding towarsds them on the footpath would think I can do something to help protect me and move out of the path of the car.

clearly you wouldn't because that would be the thing those who spout ill informed garbage do

Hip Priest

Veteran
Your attitude is one of the many reasons why so many cyclists and pedestrians are killed and seriously injured.

Victim blaming nonsense.

I cycle thousands of miles per year, and I take all reasonable precautions. My lights are good, I wear a helmet and visible clothing, and my bikes are always in perfect working order and I don't jump reds. However, none of this matters if some speeding, drunk, high, distracted driver doesn't see me and ploughs into me.

Hip Priest

Veteran
[QUOTE 2775961, member: 30090"]Defensive cycling anyone...?[/quote]

Defensive cycling is a good idea, but doesn't guarantee survival.

I've got 72 Aldi spoke reflectors, pedal reflectors, reflectors on my panniers, a half watt rear light and back up, a 1000 candle power front light and back up. Drivers still fail to notice me.

Hip Priest

Veteran
[QUOTE 2775997, member: 30090"]And I've only got a 1/2 watt smart but I make it my job to see the drivers that maybe don't see...[/quote]

Again, that's sensible, but doesn't guarantee your safety.

Platinum

The sensible person seeing a car speeding towarsds them on the footpath would think I can do something to help protect me and move out of the path of the car.

In an ideal world we'd all be easily able to recognise and escape all danger that may befall us, but you're assuming that that is something which is always possible to do, in a split second, even for the fit and able bodied.

Personally coming from years of motorsport... people are stupid. Some people will always stand at the end of a long straight because they think they can get a good view - but where does a car go if its driver misses their breaking point (easy error for even the most experienced driver)? Straight on into the crowd. So we don't just let people stand there at the end of a straight and have them run out the way when they see a car coming, it's already too late by then. Rally organisers can be held fully responsible by the law if they allow someone to be killed or injured this way. Instead, we can easily identify these types of danger areas beforehand (because we know the laws of physics and from previous experience) and they are cordoned off.

Same on public roads. People always do stupid dangerous things, even if it's against their own interests. Always. Or at the very least probably all of us do things some of the time that are not the most optimally safe way of doing things. It's up to the road environment to either prevent people from doing stupid dangerous things, or to prevent serious consequences when things do go wrong.

Only here Britain it's the poor road design that can specifically put you in a position where you must take avoiding action against lorries and dive out of the way at the last second if you want to live, obviously a lot of people are unable to accomplish this perfectly every time. It's danger designed in, and nobody's taking any responsibility for it, which is particularly scandalous given that we know how predictable these accidents are. Telling people that they can just move out of the path of cars and lorries that are closing in on them... I find that repulsive.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Victim blaming nonsense.

I cycle thousands of miles per year, and I take all reasonable precautions. My lights are good, I wear a helmet and visible clothing, and my bikes are always in perfect working order and I don't jump reds. However, none of this matters if some speeding, drunk, high, distracted driver doesn't see me and ploughs into me.
Agreed. It's the same in Australia. Most cyclist-motorist collisions are the motorist's fault, and yet our media uses subtle (or not-so subtle) phrases such as "cyclist collided with car", or "police are still trying to determine if the cyclist took all necessary safety precautions" to create anti-cyclist bias. This results in many Australians (even some of the cyclists) believing that these collisions occurred because the cyclist somehow didn't do enough to ensure his/her safety. However, the cyclists aren't the ones driving 1-tonne machines with very high potential for injuring and killing people.

Top Bottom