Keeping energy levels up when dieting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogzodiac

Hi,
Any advise or tips please. Im currently fairly fit and very active with work cycling and plenty of hiking. However I need to lose weight as I have a very demanding cycling event in the summer. Distance isn't an issue as I completed a 100 mile ride last year. But this year a lot of climbing is involved as well.
find time to train for the event is not a problem, But worried that My training might be compromised by not eating enough for energy.
Help would be appreciated

huwsparky

Über Member
Just cut out some junk. Doesn't sound like you need an overhaul to me. I tend to do feel that I 'need' to be lighter as well when reality I probably don't.

What event you got planned?

OP
OP
Dogzodiac

Dogzodiac

Just cut out some junk. Doesn't sound like you need an overhaul to me. I tend to do feel that I 'need' to be lighter as well when reality I probably don't.

What event you got planned?
Peak epic in June. 100 mile and 13000ft climb.The most Ive climbed in a day before is 7000ft over 65mile

huwsparky

Über Member
Looks a good-un!!

Personally, I wouldn't be specifically looking to lose weight. The increased in training load on the same diet will take care of that. However, saying that, I find when I put in a 20+hour training weeks (which for me is a lot and doesn't happen often) I find myself constantly hungry and can't resist eating so it's a bit of a catch 22.

I'd be looking to prep for that with plenty of volume leading up at varying intensities and then a good 10 day taper. You'll feel great on the day!

Good luck!

alicat

Legendary Member
You are doing the right thing @Dogzodiac.

In 2016 I trained for a 4-day London to Paris event while a little overweight. I lost 10lb just by virtue of the extra miles. In hindsight I wished I had cut back a little on my calorie intake when I was not training in order to lose a few more pounds. I could have carried some snacks on shorter training rides to ward off the bonk or indeed sacrified a few training rides.

Good luck

Cycling the white peak is mega energy sapping.

I made the mistake of going via Sutton, Wincle, Danebridge, and mearbrook with panniers on

At night in Witherspoons (correct spelling) I was seen but not heard!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Trick with eating is to avoid that snacking in the first hour after cycling. After that the hunger pangs dip away. So see if there's a way you can engineer that. Fir my commute to work I used to take food in and no money so I could not snack even if I wanted to.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Snack on fruit/veg immediately after your ride. Within the first 30 minutes of exercise, your body is primed to absorb and benefit from all those useful vitamins contained within. Fat-free, low in sugar yoghurt is good (something like Skyr) that’s full of protein is good too. Mix the fruit in with it. This will also help your body recover more quickly too.

The reason I suggest this is it works for me and I’ve lost over 5 st in the last year.

suzeworld

Veteran
I've managed to lose weight and train for climbs that were long (for me - in the Alps and Mont Ventoux) I favour using Myfitnesspal to calculate calories - then you can be sure you have enough calories on board for all that Peak work ... no point starving yourself - that's my mantra for weight-loss - eat as much as you can whilst still losing weight. :laugh:

Last edited:

GravityFighter

Über Member
I'm in a similar position. Sounds like you just need to do a little research and stick to some basics. The following have worked for me:

- Do some research to understand how many calories you need to lose weight steadily (say 1 - 2lbs a week) and don't drop your calorie intake too drastically.
- Cut out as much junk as possible (crisps, chocolate, sweets, alcohol, other processed food)
- Use MyFitnessPal to log what you eat. You'll soon get an understanding of the calorie content in various foods, what they're made up of and what portion sizes you need.
- Most people need to eat more protein (I certainly did). Try and get it from natural, whole foods and perhaps supplement with a shake each day. Increasing protein gives you the fuel you need to recover from exercise as well as keeping you feeling full so you don't reach for the sugary crap between meals.

For what it's worth, I'm 5' 11" and was 12stone 3lbs on 1st January (22% body fat). I want to get down to 11st 5lbs by May and circa 15% BF or less, but maintain my cycling ability power for a hilly sportive on 29th May.

By doing the above I'm still eating 2,200 - 2,500 kcal a day, eating more good stuff and am now down to 11st 10lbs and 19% BF. Waistline has shrunk and with regular training my ability on the bike is improving.

I always try to get a decent protein-based meal or snack in within 15 mins of finishing a ride / training session too. It's made a massive difference to my recovery.

Good luck!

Top Bottom