Keeping safe and being seen on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

Not sure why you want someone to convince you. Most of us just get on with riding our bikes and make our own choices in the absence of compelling data either way. There are many other everyday activities where a helmet may make much more sense than when cycling. But you don’t see people questioning why people don’t wear helmets when they are at much greater risk of head injury.
View attachment 679228

What we do know is that cycling is extremely safe, about same as walking mile for mile. Both would be even safer if speed limits are reduced, we reduce rat runs, and vehicle use is discouraged where alternates exist. Hence the priority of LTNs in news at the moment.

View attachment 679230

Whilst the points you raise are interesting there are situations when non-cyclists are obliged to wear helmets for safety reasons, construction sites come to mind. Yet my point isn't that helmets or high viz should be compulsory, it is simply that helmets help to reduce the risk of serious head injury and your choice of clothing will make a difference between being seen to be avoided or seen too late and being in a collision.

There was an article I read yesterday (maybe in road.cc) about daytime running lights
Apparently a lot (?) or professionals are using lights when training even during the day to enhance visibility

I know aboutthe - 'it's the car that causes the problem and is the danger' and all the freedom of choice and barrier to cycling arguments

but I have thought for some time that a simple led light system wired to a rechargeable battery on the handlebars - and controlled from there - would be a good idea
One of the worries I have about rear lights is that I do not actually know if mine is on or not becuase there is always the possibility that is was on when I put it on - but then ran out of battery on my way home - which I would not notice

A central simple controller on the handlebars would potentially have a power reading so you would know when you run out of power

A the moment I solve it by always using at least 2 lights.

I came up with the idea when, for a short time, I had an ebike that had lights that automatically came on when the ebike system was switched on. Initially I hated it but after a while I got used to it an liked it

ANyway - just my bit

sleuthey

Legendary Member
My waterproof jacket is black. You naturally think that black doesn't stand out. However, when I cycle through the suburbs at 9am on a weekend morning, the road is grey, houses are beige, sky is blue or white, hedges are green and the walls are red. Thus I believe I do stand out.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The clear solution is to paint all cars in a "dyno-rod" fluorescent colour, instead of grey drab colours which blend into the backround and there'd be far less collisions between motor vehicles, which is a far more prevalent problem on the road than cyclist being "seen". I would wager helmets for drivers would vastly reduce whiplash insurance claims also and may reduce premiums.

When the occupants of automotive carriages, people up ladders and drunks wobbling home from the pub start wearing safety helmets in large numbers I "might* consider wearing a cycling helmet.

EM9_tFjWkAAW6hn.jpg_large.jpg

While I am in agreement that wearing a helmet, high-viz and being lit up like a christmas tree does not make you 'more visible' to the driver who doesn't look, where I do think it makes a worthwhile difference is in the dreadful aftermath to a collision - in the attitude of the witnesses, the police, the CPS, the judiciary, the insurance companies and the coroner.

This could (note I am only saying 'could') mean the difference between useful compensation and a derisory amount, a conviction instead of no prosecution, a meaningful sentence instead of a slap on the wrist, etc etc.

All because a witness said 'but he was lit up like a Christmas tree on speed! How could the driver have missed him - I certainly saw him, you couldn't miss him, it must have been deliberate!' or the police reports stating the presence of hi-vis/protective/reflective gear and adequate lighting.

It appears to me that the helmet, the bright fluorescent orange jacket , the flashing lights front and back - all noted in the initial reports - can offer more 'protection' after the collision than from the collision, and knowledge of their use seems in itself to - weirdly - remove a large amount of the 'blame' which large segments of the population impose upon a cyclist victim, merely because of their presence on a trafficed road.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There was an article I read yesterday (maybe in road.cc) about daytime running lights
Apparently a lot (?) or professionals are using lights when training even during the day to enhance visibility

I know aboutthe - 'it's the car that causes the problem and is the danger' and all the freedom of choice and barrier to cycling arguments

but I have thought for some time that a simple led light system wired to a rechargeable battery on the handlebars - and controlled from there - would be a good idea
One of the worries I have about rear lights is that I do not actually know if mine is on or not becuase there is always the possibility that is was on when I put it on - but then ran out of battery on my way home - which I would not notice

A central simple controller on the handlebars would potentially have a power reading so you would know when you run out of power

A the moment I solve it by always using at least 2 lights.

I came up with the idea when, for a short time, I had an ebike that had lights that automatically came on when the ebike system was switched on. Initially I hated it but after a while I got used to it an liked it

ANyway - just my bit

I have a SON28 dynamo hub and have lights on all the time without thinking aboutv it. It also charges my powerbank for my phone and Wahoo.

On a slightly different note
I used to live up a very narrow road on a very steep hill under a load of trees and witha few bends
Not long but you needed first gear and to have your wits about you to get up it.

One evening - late autumn around sunset - I was going home, up the hill and I suddenly noticed 3-4 teenagers coming down that were so close I had to slam the brakes on.
They were on their way to Army Cadets and hence wearing camoflage!!!!

At least it shows the stuff works - and my brakes!!

gbb

Legendary Member
For me, its simply about choices, likelihoods and consequences.
I generally choose not to wear a helmet. Not exclusively, winter riding i would, summer i generally don't.
High viz, reflective or bright clothing at least, I generally do. I'm reminded of a drive one summer night, he headlamps caught a flash maybe a mile or two distant. Reflective clothing, it alerted me waaaay before I was even near..
In 50 years or more of cycling I have been knocked off (at very very low speed tbf) once.
I generally had one bad close pass a year I guess.
I have fallen off my bike a few times but never hit my head.
So for me, historical experience has been good, that sways my decisions.

And yet, none of this will protect you from a distracted or lunatic driver. I was lit up like a Christmas tree on a night ride, with reflective clothing. A driver bounded out of a junction and damn near took me out.
Another experience was closing a gap (owning the space) as a car was oncoming, no matter, he squeezed through at around 40 or 50, with millimetres to spare. No helmet or bright clothing is going to help you from such people.

Your brain is generally your best defence imo. Its not infallible but looking, analysing, constant risk assessing will help you more than you know.

I read an article from an A&E Neurosurgeon a while ago
He was supporting the idea that wearing a helmey when riding a bike was a good idea
He had seen many many people who, in his opinion, were only still alive because of the helmet

but that isn't the point I am making

He commented that the vast majority of people he treated with head injuries were motorists
If you want to save lives - make it compulsory to wear a helmet when in a car - not on a bike

which is interesting

Mike_P

Guru
The one think that makes be think non all black clothing etc and using day time lights (or a rear at least) is essential is when driving along a road with the sun causing shadows to the side of the road while the rest of the road is in full sun and coming across a cyclist with no lights on with a black jersey and helmet who is virtually invisible until almost on top of them.

Top Bottom