Keeping safe and being seen on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Driving too fast for conditions surely, need to be able to stop inside the distance you can see - or indeed half that distance assuming (I know) oncoming traffic is doing same speed.

In a queue of traffic everyone suddenly braking ahead for seemingly no apparent reason until the almost invisible cyclist appeared, a rear light would have made them visible for far further and given how close I was before I realised there presence not sure speed is that relevant.

The one think that makes be think non all black clothing etc and using day time lights (or a rear at least) is essential is when driving along a road with the sun causing shadows to the side of the road while the rest of the road is in full sun and coming across a cyclist with no lights on with a black jersey and helmet who is virtually invisible until almost on top of them.

If you drive an automotive carriage on a road upon which cyclists are permitted to ride it's reasonable to expect that you might encounter one at some point and therefore drive at such a speed that you'd be able to stop before ploughing into them, whatever the conditions. Or am I missing something?

Mike_P

Guru
If you drive an automotive carriage on a road upon which cyclists are permitted to ride it's reasonable to expect that you might encounter one at some point and therefore drive at such a speed that you'd be able to stop before ploughing into them, whatever the conditions. Or am I missing something?

What you are missing is that in some lighting conditions anyone cycling without lights and not helped by wearing dark clothing has the potential of not being seen as quickly as otherwise might be the case. It was on road I use regularly, both driving and cycling. and it is not unusual to see a cyclist but usually they are seen far sooner than was the case that day.

classic33

Leg End Member
What you are missing is that in some lighting conditions anyone cycling without lights and not helped by wearing dark clothing has the potential of not being seen as quickly as otherwise might be the case. It was on road I use regularly, both driving and cycling. and it is not unusual to see a cyclist but usually they are seen far sooner than was the case that day.
I was mistaken for a bus*, so no doubt the driver had seen me. Didn't stop him driving into me.

*Defence used by the driver in order to prove it was safe to enter the main road.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It wasn't that long ago that various helmet manufacturers invented 'MIPS' - designed to reduce the injuries caused by helmets.
Which begs the question.

In a queue of traffic everyone suddenly braking ahead for seemingly no apparent reason until the almost invisible cyclist appeared, a rear light would have made them visible for far further and given how close I was before I realised there presence not sure speed is that relevant.

Everyone was suddenly braking ? Poor anticipation on your part, and simply blaming the cyclist methinks.

What you are missing is that drivers are required to drive only so fast as they can stop in the distance they know to be clear. The onus is on the driver to look where they are going. If a driver cannot see a cyclist, in broad daylight, wearing whatever tone of camouflage they choose to wear, they shouldn't be on the road. I'm not making this up - it's the rules if the road.

Mike_P

Guru
What you are missing is that drivers are required to drive only so fast as they can stop in the distance they know to be clear. The onus is on the driver to look where they are going. If a driver cannot see a cyclist, in broad daylight, wearing whatever tone of camouflage they choose to wear, they shouldn't be on the road. I'm not making this up - it's the rules if the road.

It was a combination of the angle of the sun and the shadow of trees which meant to the road was partly sunlit and partly in deep shade. The thread is about keeping safe and being seen, used a daytime rear light and considering what is worn pretty on topic.

Mike_P

Guru
And all drivers braked and passed the cyclist with care, but a rear light would have shown their presence more clearly in the awkward glare and shade lighting conditions.

And all drivers braked and passed the cyclist with care, but a rear light would have shown their presence more clearly in the awkward glare and shade lighting conditions.

I refer the Rt. Honourable Gentleman to the answer I gave a few posts ago. It is not, nor should it be, the cyclists' job to make themselves 'seen'.

Top Bottom