Day lights & Light questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Midsrider

Hi all,

I have had some issues again with lights I have bought, so will be sending them back (water getting in and some not lasting more than 40mins!)

So my question is - I have started using for the first time recently my lights on in the day time too and noticed that cars are slowing down earlier and going wider and when we go around the lake with my boys that on the pathways, people are moving a lot quicker than before - seems to be that lights do have a huge impact on how people react day and night.

I have numbered my questions and products so its easier for me to follow!!!

I have never bought named brands for lights as cheaper ones are on amazon - but I am finding now that cheap is not always good.

1. With this in mind, I am asking if you lot who are much more experienced that do you tend to have a light for front and back that works for both day and night cycling - or do you have lights dedicated for this?
  2. I am buying new now - so I have considered the Bontrager flare Ion 100 and Flare R city lights. They are small - but these seem to be be great day lights. Do these work great at night too for being seen? (I will of course use a better front light) LINK
  3. I have also considered the Bontrager Ion 450 R front light, but this has had so many mixed reviews. LINK
  4. My last one is this one is going back to Cateeye Rapid Mini rear light - does not seem as bright as others, but I guess this is still a brilliant light with lots of mounting options. Any users of this? Looking at the AMPP500 too for this. Wonder if this combo is good for day and night.

Thanks all.

Drago

Legendary Member
No. Unless weather conditions are bad I do not ise them during the daytime. There is some evidence that daytime lights on 2 wheelers, particularly overbright lights, may actually increase the risk. They can break up the visible outline of both bike and rider, and the human brain needs to see that outline to be accurately able to judge the speed with reference to the surroundings. Once you know about this effect you can actually see it in action for yourself while you're out and about.

Honda, who own the worlds largest searchlight manufacturer and have world class optics expertise to call upon, and Suzuki both researched this phenomenon independently some years ago and came to the same conclusion. If you do run daylime lights be sure not to use overly bright ones.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Thanks Drago.

I keep seeing super bright 100 lumen lights but I actually occasionally with lighting in all time job and I agree that lighting too bright can not be good. This is to me same for day and night.

I guess with this in mind - the Cateye rapid mini would be a great all rounder rear light.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Agree with Drago, you don't need much to be seen, and something that dazzles other cyclists, pedestrians and car drivers is counter productive.

Flashing helps in cities where there is background light, but on unlit roads etc a steady light is easier for the brain to interpret where you are and what speed you're moving at.

the only time you need a bright light is unlit country lanes or woods at night on the front for seeing where you are going, and it needs to be pointed downwards, not up at sky or in peoples eyes. a pet hate of mine is cheap chinese torch lights on full flash taking my retina's out:laugh:

I just use Aldi cheapo lights so can't advise on specific models

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

I just use good quality lights designed for cycling (B&M from Germany).

Thanks for the reply.

My old lights years ago was some battery lights from B'twin and they worked great - but over time they have broken. So looking now there are literally thousands of them !!!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Everything Drago says. Totally agree with motorcycle lights being off weather dark exception. I found it made no difference at all if they were on. Similarly they researched day glo colour and had similar results. I found straight through three inch pipes worked better than lights. 😎

The flashing frequency of some riders is too low. The first flash can show over 1/2 second late. It may be a temporal illusion but it seems real enough.
Flashing lights say Look At Me but dont help drivers judge distance.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don’t have your lights on unless after sunset or poor weather.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Maybe its a question of which cheap chinese ones you bought?

These ones here and here have definitely had their fair share of positive reviews -- Im also waiting on aldi but one of these will be my next if i decide i cant wait any longer.

Never really intentionally used lights during the day unless in very dim/overcast and wet conditions. more often than I will have a rear blinker on though. Its an evans own brand clipped to my backpack and its not really that bright at 15lumens but it does the job even on eco mode

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lezyne Zecto Drives on my road bike (250 version) - they have a daytime mode which does a low level flash and a 250 lumen flash every few seconds, so it's not distracting to drivers.

I've got copies of the Zecto's which I use on the MTB at night - not as bright as the 250 lumen model, but they were dead cheap and are water and mud proof.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I use lights on a condition-dependent basis:
  • Dark - yes, of course, always
  • Twilight the same
  • Daylight - it depends:
  • Foggy, misty or other reduced visibility conditions - yes, I'll treat these as night time and use continuous lighting
  • Clear, bright, dry day - mostly I don't light up, except:
    • Low, dazzling sunshine - yes, I'll use lights in a flashing mode
I will also continuously monitor conditions and light up or switch off along the way as conditions require. This means a little fore-planning for the ride to be sure I have lights with me if I think the conditions may require it, even if they don't at set-off.

As for type, I have a few fronts:
  • Lezyne 400XL: good road light for all conditions, from unlit back roads to daytime use
  • Moon Meteor: largely replaced by the above - this was a good light but the battery life is now not great so it tends to be used only when I know the ride will be short
  • Electron Pod - a 'be seen' light that is only used for daylight running in flash mode*. Came as a freebie with BC membership
    • *the only exception is for popping to the local pub to collect a takeaway meal, when it goes on my shopping bike simply to satisfy legal needs. The pub is about 400 metres each way along lit, quiet village roads.
  • Hope Vision R4+: only used at night off-road or on short road sections between off-road tracks. Too bright and dazzling for road use; if I do find myself on-road with traffic coming the other way I'll drop it to its lowest continuous setting.
Rear lights, I have a few odd ones that I have picked up along the way, but I typically rely on a cheap, cell-battery type mounted on the seatpost and run in flash mode. Sometimes I'll run a rear in the daytime with no front, often because the light is almost always on the seatpost anyway, whereas I tend to swap and change fronts and they need removing for charging.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Moon Meteor: largely replaced by the above - this was a good light but the battery life is now not great so it tends to be used only when I know the ride will be short

Off topic -- if you ever want someone to replace the battery inside for you, Id be willing to give it a go :laugh: Looks fairly easy to take apart. Getting a good replacement battery would be the most tricky bit. Ive taken my Lezyne 400XL apart for the same reason.

A few years ago I was out on the back roads above Muirkirk, it was a wintry, mostly overcast day in February, as I stopped to grab something to eat a rider went past. He had a rear light on despite it being daytime, and if you know the area there's a stretch that's completely open. I could still clearly see his light about a mile and a half away. The road we were on joins the A70 outside Muirkirk which is absolutely horrendous for cyclists, so I can see why he would want to be visible from as far away as possible.

Personally, I don't use lights during the day except in really bad weather because I've never found a setup that balances battery life with ease of recharging and weight, but after seeing his light I don't doubt there may be something to it.

(The best lighting setup I've ever had was my B&M+dynamo setup, with a headtorch for picking out detail on descents. Big investment but very worthwhile)

figbat

Slippery scientist
Off topic -- if you ever want someone to replace the battery inside for you, Id be willing to give it a go :laugh: Looks fairly easy to take apart. Getting a good replacement battery would be the most tricky bit. Ive taken my Lezyne 400XL apart for the same reason.
Thanks. I’ve already had it apart and yes, it looks straightforward enough if you can find a battery. I was actually thinking of taking the guts out and using them in a vintage light housing, but that’s for another thread.

Top Bottom