Day lights & Light questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I use Lezyne Zectos - usb rechargeable and nice and neat and lightweight and good run-time (depending in exactly which mode you use). I do not usually use lights on a bright sunny day though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just got one of these as a "see me light "plenty of modes and they have a replaceable battery

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/lights/moon-meteor-x-auto-450-lumen-front-light__471447

I have started using for the first time recently my lights on in the day time too and noticed that cars are slowing down earlier and going wider and when we go around the lake with my boys that on the pathways, people are moving a lot quicker than before - seems to be that lights do have a huge impact on how people react day and night.
absotively! ^_^ in fact aside from the rear strobe on my rear rack I also have one on my left drop bar (U.S.)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have been using a Moon meteor vortex for mixed riding on lit and unlit roads for a few years now, and with a day flash mode. It's been great. I run lights in the day as well, on country lanes I find that drivers react earlier.

PK99

Legendary Member
The flashing frequency of some riders is too low. The first flash can show over 1/2 second late. It may be a temporal illusion but it seems real enough.
Flashing lights say Look At Me but dont help drivers judge distance.

There is an argument that two lights are better:
Flashing = see me
Steady = judge my position and movement

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ran 2 of the moon meteor at full whack more than enough for country lanes at 5.30 am

coldash

Veteran
I use the Bontrager 200 front and Flare RT rear lights for daytime riding. The irregular flash mode works well. I ride mostly on country lanes and visibility when riding under tree cover in sunlight can be a problem for some car drivers. I also use them when it is misty / foggy. So, oddly, perhaps, I use them when the conditions are seemingly very good or crap and not so much when in between. I’ve been happy with them and only replacement my previous Flate RT when the battery started to lose its charge too quickly , although it still is fine for a 3 hour or so ride

mikeIow

Guru
I'm surprised at the number here who say "no" to lights on in daylight.
The number of cyclists I see in black or dark shaded outfits also never ceases to surprise me :eek:

Hi-vis jackets and some lighting makes the most sense to me 💥
To those who think drivers may have trouble figuring out how far away you are, or to gauge speed: really? I'm happy that they realise I exist: the more visibility, the better :okay:

Up front I am a little less concerned in daytime - I am reasonably in control of what is happening in front of me. At the rear, less so (see my rave review of the Garmin Varia paired with my Wahoo Roam to see latest favourite safety toy !)

All that said, I am a leisure cyclist, not a superfast racer....but for lights, do have a Knog mid-cobber front light (~120hr battery life on the minimal flash sequence!), a Beryl burner rear & now a Garmin Varia rear (yes, those relatively expensive first two were using up a R2W voucher....).
When you see the Christmas Tree pedalling slowly along in front, that'll be me 🎄:bicycle::wacko:

Top Bottom