Day lights & Light questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Purely anecdotal, but as I run lights from a dynamo I run them all the time. My reasoning is that any time I've seen cyclists with daylight lights, they've seemed more noticeable than those without. Not more visible, just more noticeable.
I can't say I've ever been blinded by someone using any kind of light during daylight.

mattobrien

Guru
The brighter the day then the brighter the lights in order to stand out.
I have seen too many cyclists with extremely poor rear lights, which may look bright from 3 metres away, but are virtually invisible from 30 or 50 metres away, both in the day and at night.
I also see a trend of cyclists where all dark clothing on dull days, not making them the most noticeable. I am not for victim blaming, but I’d rather someone had more time to respond to the fact that I am there than realising, possibly too late. Better to be alive than right

Lovacott

Über Member
With this in mind, I am asking if you lot who are much more experienced that do you tend to have a light for front and back that works for both day and night cycling - or do you have lights dedicated for this?

My last one is this one is going back to Cateeye Rapid Mini rear light - does not seem as bright as others, but I guess this is still a brilliant light with lots of mounting options. Any users of this? Looking at the AMPP500 too for this. Wonder if this combo is good for day and night.
I've just finished with night commuting as it's light now at both ends of my commute. That said, I still use the lights.

I bought a set last year from Amazon. They are pretty good. About a week later, I was given the same set by my son for my birthday.

They have a metal casing and a good solid feel about them. Very well made.

The on button cycles through from intense to dim and then a few different flashing options (fast blink/slow blink). A long press sets the preferred mode at power up. It has a USB output/micro USB input so it can also be used as a phone charger.

When it's dark, I have the rear lights on solid but now it's light in the evenings, I have them on a slow blink. This is mainly because my commute home is into the sun (east to west) so anything coming up from behind me might not see a solid light against the sunset.

I have one front light on, but in the dim setting so that I can be seen.

I also have a bottle dynamo and a pair of Nean lights which are permanent fixtures. I probably look more like a Bridgwater Carnival float than a cycle commuter.

I ended up in hospital many years ago after being smacked by a lorry. The driver reckoned that he didn't see me. I had the old Eveready front and rear lights and they were both fully powered up but piss weak compared to what you can get today.

I'm not taking any chances now.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The on button cycles through from intense to dim and then a few different flashing options (fast blink/slow blink).
I’ve had a few lights that cycle like this, and they always annoy me. As you say, they start bright, then go to dimmer modes, then flashing modes, then back to bright. The problem comes if you are on a dimmer continuous setting and, for whatever reason, need the brighter one. Just at the point you need more light you are forced to go through modes offering less light and intermittent light before you get what you want.

The Hope light I have has been thought through in this respect - it switches on in whatever continuous mode was last used and then cycles in an upwards direction, and only through continuous modes. To get a flashing mode you have to long-press the button and then there are a few ‘secondary’ modes to work through. Given that this is a light designed for off-road use, it’s a nice touch.

Lovacott

Über Member
The Hope light I have has been thought through in this respect - it switches on in whatever continuous mode was last used
The light I have does exactly the same thing. A single press from off sets the beam to the most used mode. You can change the default mode by selecting a light setting which suits you and then you just have to hold the button for three seconds to store it.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The light I have does exactly the same thing. A single press from off sets the beam to the most used mode. You can change the default mode by selecting a light setting which suits you and then you just have to hold the button for three seconds to store it.
Yes, but if you suddenly need more light, then what?

Lovacott

Über Member
The Hope light I have has been thought through in this respect - it switches on in whatever continuous mode was last used and then cycles in an upwards direction, and only through continuous modes. To get a flashing mode you have to long-press the button and then there are a few ‘secondary’ modes to work through. Given that this is a light designed for off-road use, it’s a nice touch.
So you have to do a series of presses to select the main mode before working through some secondary modes?

figbat

Slippery scientist
So you have to do a series of presses to select the main mode before working through some secondary modes?
No. One short press turns it on in continuous mode. Push to cycle through three different brightness levels but it goes up, not down. So if I am on the lowest mode (good enough for most conditions) and then suddenly hit a dark and technical bit and need more light I just press once for medium or twice for full. On other lights, in the same situation, if I am in a lower mode I need to cycle through flashing to get to bright again. Flashing is the last thing I want.

Additionally if I want any flashing modes then a long press will bring them up to cycle through, so I have to want flashing to get it, not have it forced upon me when all I want is all the light because roots/branches etc.

Lovacott

Über Member
No. One short press turns it on in continuous mode. Push to cycle through three different brightness levels but it goes up, not down. So if I am on the lowest mode (good enough for most conditions) and then suddenly hit a dark and technical bit and need more light I just press once for medium or twice for full.

I'm not meaning to be rude or anything mate, but what difference does it make? You press twice for bright, I press twice for bright. I really don't get your point.

Top Bottom