Keeping the rain out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am a middle aged leisure cyclist who tends to stay at home when it looks like it will rain: so I have not been out on my bike much lately!

So a simple requirement - I want to be able to cycle without getting my clothes wet.

Looked in LBS x2 nothing much there in rainproof gear and same with Halfords. Dont know where to start with on-line shops.

I have been out with my (non cycling) rainproof jacket on but that simply transfers all the water down into my lap.

So what do you all do?
Say I want a 15 to 50 mile ride at the weekend and it is due to rain what would you advise I wear or take?

There seem to be "waterproof" jackets and trousers (at £50+ each) on Wiggle - is that what I need? Or will an simple over-trouser waterproof plus my present jacket do the job? or will I be a mobile sauna like this?

Then there is wet feet too?

Help please!

We all have our preferences.

Mine is the Altura Nevis jacket

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Altura_Nevis_Waterproof_Jacket/5360025729/

and the Altura Rush overtrousers

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/387-32585

;)

domtyler

Über Member
If you are that precious that you shouldn't be exposed to adverse weather then maybe you should buy a turbo or think about a different hobby. I hear dominoes can be extremely stimulating. ;)

Tharg2007

Veteran
You cant keep the rain out!!! you can minimize how much of it you absorb and how much of it you deflect.
You need a waterproof breathable jacket one that hangs down at the back otherwise it will get down the back of your gruds, better light weight as you can always use layers in winter to keep warm.
Some good waterproof breathable trousers.
cycling shoes with a hole in them so as not to collect the water.

Alternatively you cold just wear some cycle shorts and a merino base layer with a light windproof top and get wet through, once you reach a certain point its quite nice.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
To fix the water in the lap problem, I would suggest rainlegs as a good alternative to overtrousers (provided you have mudguards). Overtrousers are pretty sweaty unless you ride very slowly, even breathable ones.

Waterproof cycling jackets are much like other waterproof jackets for walking etc, except they are cut shorter in front and longer behind to account for the bent forwards posture, and frequently don't have a hood. If you use a normal jacket, you'll find it bunching up in your lap, and it will drip onto your bum unless it's a relatively long one.

If you don't already have them, fit proper mudguards. If you don't have them you can get just as wet from spray off the road as from the rain, and also wet when it isn't raining any more. A flap on the end of the front one will also keep a lot of spray off your feet.

Most faster cyclists have given up trying to keep dry, and just wear clothes that remain comfortable when wet. Anything waterproof will also be windproof, and they just end up sweating faster than even the best breathable waterproofs can breathe it out.

Top Bottom