Keeping water out of my shoes?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Katherine, 25 Apr 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Katherine

Katherine Guru Moderator

Thanks all.

I do have homemade mudflaps and full mudguards front and back.

I will try the duck tape on the next wet ride.

The annoying thing is that it's taken so long for the shoes to dry out.

2. gilespargiter

gilespargiter Über Member

", , ,The annoying thing is that it's taken so long for the shoes to dry out."

I also find this annoying. I most often cycle in industrial safety shoes of a similar shape to cycling shoes/trainers; comfortable to walk in, fairly stiff sole because of the foot protection,so comfortable to cycle in for long periods, light, a little wider than most cycling shoes- which I appreciate, durable, no vat BUT like a lot of modern shoes they use padding round the collar and in the insole. This does take a lot of drying out. Only thing is due to all the tough synthetic materials they are made of, I can dry them a lot faster without harm than leather shoes. I have some walking "approach" boots which unlike safety shoes are supposed to be water proof (I do keep coming across this myth/legend that boots can be waterproof - never found it substantiated yet!) and they have the same problem.

Wet feet- part of cycling life from time to time, so it seems! :smile:

Katherine likes this.
  3. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Remember there's the big hole at the top which your foot goes in. Hard to waterproof that.

4. Jody

Jody Platinum member

Great for keeping your feet warm in wet shoes. Love my Sealskinz

5. Siclo

Siclo Über Member

This is important. I taped up the vents in my winter boots before a 200km audax in Wales in December a few years ago. By the time I got to Bala at 80km every pedal stroke resulted in a jet of ice water up my leg, think welly full of water. Spar provided sandwich bags and tin foil on that occasion.

the_mikey likes this.
  6. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Love mine too.
    One of the best purchesess I have ever made.
    Thuugh they are not for everybody, they work for me.

Jody likes this.
  7. Eddy

Eddy Guru

I used to stuff mine full of old newspaper then after a few hours I would remove and put some more old newspaper in and then leave overnight then I discovered stuffing an old towel into the shoes dries them out far quicker.

8. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

This review for waterproof socks appeared today on my FB feed, may be of help.
    The reviewer, Fiona Outdoors Russell, puts her gear to extreme use!
    For drying shoes, someone mentioned this - basically silica gel shoe size.

Katherine likes this.
  9. freiston

freiston Senior Member

Eager spats with waterproof trousers over the top - eliminates ingress from above but doesn't help much with 'breathability'.

Edit: here's a link to Eager spats
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/clothingovershoes/xs-eager-spats-calf-length-black/
    145.jpg

Katherine likes this.
  10. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

11. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

You've got vents in your winter boots! :wacko:

12. Siclo

Siclo Über Member

That's what I thought, that's why I taped them up, turns out there's method in the madnes

the_mikey likes this.
  13. lazybloke

lazybloke Über Member

Thread resurrection time, because I now have two pairs of soaked (submerged?) shoes, thanks to torrential rain and flooding.

Sealskinz socks - what do they do differently?

14. sheddy

sheddy Guru

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Plastic bags work really well and they keep your feet warm too. For the hands, vinyl or latex gloves under your cycling gloves do the same job.

C R likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice