Keith Lambert steel for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gds58

Über Member
I don't think that there is any official ruling but 54" is usually recommend for someone between 5'4" - 5'7".

I would have to disagree with this as a rider of 5' 4" to 5' 7" would best suit a frame of about 50 to 52cm and no bigger, but this would of course depend on the persons inside leg measurement. A frame of 54cm would generally be for a rider of about 5' 10" but this guy may have just had the saddle a little low. Also the saddle in the picture looks to be very thick from top to bottom and this would also affect the seatpin extension. Either way it's irrelevant as the frame is 54cm so you will either think it fits you or you won't - simples!!!

Trickydicky

Sorry the top tube is to long a reach for my friend!

OP
OP
J

jimmys

Regular
I just Freecycled a Keith Lambert steel ladies bike (a steel bike, not a bike for steel ladies!)

Keith Lambert still trades near me, great bike shop!

Yeah, I did a search on the bike to try and find more information and couldn't really find much so I emailed the shop but never got a response.

Zoiders

I would have to disagree with this as a rider of 5' 4" to 5' 7" would best suit a frame of about 50 to 52cm and no bigger, but this would of course depend on the persons inside leg measurement. A frame of 54cm would generally be for a rider of about 5' 10" but this guy may have just had the saddle a little low. Also the saddle in the picture looks to be very thick from top to bottom and this would also affect the seatpin extension. Either way it's irrelevant as the frame is 54cm so you will either think it fits you or you won't - simples!!!
I would question that.

I ride a 56 non compact and I have almost 4" of seat post on show, choosing a 54 at 5'10" may well give you an unacceptably short top tube and push a shorter seat post beyond it's minimum insertion point, you would have to stick a MTB post in to stop it fracturing the seat tube lug and clamping collar. If I rode that size I would run a good chance of striking the bars with my knee climbing out of the saddle as well.

Stumpy legs you might get away with it, but thats' pushing it.

The bike seems nice, around the £125 mark is a good price point, I suspect it's a Raleigh/Tube Industries frame underneath so it might not contain as much butted tubing or be quite as light as you would expect for a "531" frame, age wise I would date the bike from the late 80's, I have seen nigh on identical rides with Raleigh Holdsworth and various shop names on the side

It's still perfectly serviceable though.

gds58

Über Member
If I rode that size I would run a good chance of striking the bars with my knee climbing out of the saddle as well.

Stumpy legs you might get away with it, but thats' pushing it.

Clearly you've never heard of different length handlebar stems to put the 'bars in exactly the right position. A slightly smaller frame will be both lighter and stiffer. Look at the frames that most good road racers ride. They are generally quite small with long stems and considerably more than 4" of seatpin showing as you quote.

Anyway it's all quite irrelevant really as neither of us are interested in buying the frame/bike although I would like it as a winter hack but it's a little too far for me to go to collect. Shame really, I do still like the old steel frames.

Graham

Zoiders

Clearly you've never heard of different length handlebar stems to put the 'bars in exactly the right position. A slightly smaller frame will be both lighter and stiffer. Look at the frames that most good road racers ride. They are generally quite small with long stems and considerably more than 4" of seatpin showing as you quote.

Anyway it's all quite irrelevant really as neither of us are interested in buying the frame/bike although I would like it as a winter hack but it's a little too far for me to go to collect. Shame really, I do still like the old steel frames.

Graham
They ride compact and semi compact frames that are fitted to them, the effective top tube height still remains the same as it would be on the frame being sold by the OP though even if the seat tube is shorter and more post is showing.

This is again people getting more modern and compact frame sizing mixed up with the sizing for more traditional frames, this results in people cramming them self onto dinky traditional sizes or stretching them self out too far on too large a compact.

If you ever look at frames from that period they did not come with long posts for a reason.

Messing about with stem length to compensate for a frame that's well out size wise tends to to do nasty things to bike handling.

gds58

Über Member
They ride compact and semi compact frames that are fitted to them, the effective top tube height still remains the same length as it would be on the frame being sold by the OP though even if the seat tube is shorter and more post is showing.

This is again people getting more modern and compact frame sizing mixed up with the sizing for more traditional frames, this results in people cramming them self onto dinky traditional sizes or stretching them self out too far on too large a compact.

If you ever look at frames from that period they did not come with long posts for a reason.

Messing about with stem length to compensate for a frame that's well out size wise tends to to do nasty things to bike handling.

Christ can somebody please translate this into English for me!! Apparently the top tube height remains the same length!! Doesn't make sense my friend!! Anyway I've now completely lost interest as you seem hell bent on proving that your theory is right, so I'll agree just to end the pointless continuance of this. G

Zoiders

Christ can somebody please translate this into English for me!! Apparently the top tube height remains the same length!! Doesn't make sense my friend!! Anyway I've now completely lost interest as you seem hell bent on proving that your theory is right, so I'll agree just to end the pointless continuance of this. G
It's not my theory.

I am terribly sorry the type-o with the word "length" threw you - causing you to fly into pedantic rage, I shall edit that word out so you don't feel so upset and scared.

Clearly you have never ridden the kind of bike being sold.

It's not my theory.

I am terribly sorry the type-o with the word "length" threw you - causing you to fly into pedantic rage, I shall edit that word out so you don't feel so upset and scared.

Typo, it's an abbreviation of typographical error that is now its own word.

/offtopic

gds58

Über Member
It's not my theory.

Wrong, wrong and more wrong!! what on earth is your problem! Firstly I am not in any kind of pedantic rage (whatever one of those is) and secondly I suggest that you find out facts BEFORE you make ridiculous accusations. For your information I have ridden most kinds of bikes available AND have raced at all levels from club to International standard so (I'm guessing) that I may know just a bit of what I am talking about. Now get off your (overly) high horse and leave this the hell alone will you. As you said 'it's not your theory' so clearly is something that YOU know very little about. Now back off.

gds58

Über Member
Christ I thought that this was going to be a nice friendly forum whre we can all exchange ideas, opinions etc but it seems that there are a few complete dic*heads (zoiders) that are hell bent on trying to be a smart arse when they actually know bugger all!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Christ I thought that this was going to be a nice friendly forum whre we can all exchange ideas, opinions etc but it seems that there are a few complete dic*heads (zoiders) that are hell bent on trying to be a smart arse when they actually know bugger all!!

I hate to get involved in a domestic but it seems to me that you're the one throwing his toys out.

Zoiders merely politely questioned your size analysis (as do I, incidentally) and you accused him of never having heard of different stem sizes. Then you aggressively ask, "Christ can somebody please translate this into English for me!! "
FWIW, the top tube does stay the same length and putting a longer stem or moving the saddle about doesn't alter that fact.

Your last 2 posts show an inappropriate level of aggression and I'd suggest if you can't argue your case without anger and asking the other poster to "Back off" you'd be better off not arguing at all. Calling someone a dickhead is out of order and you should take a deep breath and calm down.

Just my opinion of course.

OP
OP
J

jimmys

Regular
Well it certainly has turned into an interesting topic :smile:

Looking to let it go at £100, moving into my new place this weekend and have no space for it, so would rather someone had it than it sitting in a shed for the next ten years!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Well it certainly has turned into an interesting topic

Looking to let it go at £100, moving into my new place this weekend and have no space for it, so would rather someone had it than it sitting in a shed for the next ten years!

With a longer stem and moving the saddle back, would it fit me ???

Sorry :smile:

It's a bargain and one someone will snap up, but at 6 ft 3" it's just too small for me :sad:

Top Bottom