Keith Lambert steel for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Clearly you've never heard of different length handlebar stems to put the 'bars in exactly the right position. A slightly smaller frame will be both lighter and stiffer. Look at the frames that most good road racers ride. They are generally quite small with long stems and considerably more than 4" of seatpin showing as you quote.

Anyway it's all quite irrelevant really as neither of us are interested in buying the frame/bike although I would like it as a winter hack but it's a little too far for me to go to collect. Shame really, I do still like the old steel frames.

Graham

I think this may have been Zoiders point, and if it was, I agree re. the comment to look at a modern racers frame.

Modern race frames typically do not have a horizontal top tube, they tend to have curved or sloping top tubes to varying degree's. This throws some confusion into the mix. How to measure top tube, well traditionally its measured centre of headtube to centre of seat tube along the horizontal top tube, but nowadays with sloping top tubes, measuring along the top tube makes little sense as a standard as differing slopes etc provide differing measurements. The typical "horizontal" or "effective" top tube measurement quoted in frame geometry datasheets is the equivalent of the old measurement. In terms of frame sizing appearence, the sloping top tube means a lot of seatpost is exposed and it makes frames look a lot smaller when in fact the frames are not smaller in terms of effective top tube, they just have shorter seat tubes.

If you measure from the centre of the head tube to the centre of the seatube with the ruler horizontal (not in line with top tube) then you will get the same frame sizings as on older style frames. This is the measurement that is most important in frame size selection as it cannot be changed.

gds58

Über Member
I hate to get involved in a domestic but it seems to me that you're the one throwing his toys out.

Zoiders merely politely questioned your size analysis (as do I, incidentally) and you accused him of never having heard of different stem sizes. Then you aggressively ask, "Christ can somebody please translate this into English for me!! "
FWIW, the top tube does stay the same length and putting a longer stem or moving the saddle about doesn't alter that fact.

Your last 2 posts show an inappropriate level of aggression and I'd suggest if you can't argue your case without anger and asking the other poster to "Back off" you'd be better off not arguing at all. Calling someone a dickhead is out of order and you should take a deep breath and calm down.

Just my opinion of course.

I'm not throwing any toys out as you put it, I simply cannot abide people who seem to want to make comment about something that they clearly know very little or nothing about. I didn't aggressively ask anything but if somebody wants to post such comments on here then may I suggest that they at least write it in a way which both makes sense and is at least some way towards being grammatically correct. FWIW I fully understand about frame geometry and how different frame shapes can affect this, and how a 'virtual' top tube length is calculated.

I regularly look at the photographs on here of members bikes and I am constantly amazed at how badly set-up they often are but I am then more amazed when some gentle advice is offered as to the correct (and better) way of setting up is followed by a barrage of abuse from members who know nothing about the correct and better ways to set-up a bike.

Oh and by the way, when I used the term 'dickhead' it was used in a generic way but you know what they say 'if the cap fits' etc etc.

Like I have previously said, I think this topic is well and truly done now.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm not throwing any toys out as you put it, I simply cannot abide people who seem to want to make comment about something that they clearly know very little or nothing about. I didn't aggressively ask anything but if somebody wants to post such comments on here then may I suggest that they at least write it in a way which both makes sense and is at least some way towards being grammatically correct. FWIW I fully understand about frame geometry and how different frame shapes can affect this, and how a 'virtual' top tube length is calculated.

I regularly look at the photographs on here of members bikes and I am constantly amazed at how badly set-up they often are but I am then more amazed when some gentle advice is offered as to the correct (and better) way of setting up is followed by a barrage of abuse from members who know nothing about the correct and better ways to set-up a bike.

Oh and by the way, when I used the term 'dickhead' it was used in a generic way but you know what they say 'if the cap fits' etc etc.

And people say I am angry. Also how the hell can you tell if a bike is badly set up without also seeing the rider?

gds58

Über Member
how the hell can you tell if a bike is badly set up without also seeing the rider?

certain things such as angle of handlebars, position of brake/gear levers, angle of saddle often give away the fact that the owner either doesn't have a clue or they have been given bad/no advice or whoever built the bike up has no idea either. Oh and of course.. experience, sometimes you can just look at a bike and you know!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
certain things such as angle of handlebars, position of brake/gear levers, angle of saddle often give away the fact that the owner either doesn't have a clue or they have been given bad/no advice or whoever built the bike up has no idea either. Oh and of course.. experience, sometimes you can just look at a bike and you know!

I agree with some of those but not all and not in all cases. If you see a MTB with a nose high saddle do you think a/ that's wrong or b/the rider downhills for example.

gds58

Über Member
I agree with some of those but not all and not in all cases. If you see a MTB with a nose high saddle do you think a/ that's wrong or b/the rider downhills for example.

I wasn't including MTB's at all to be honest. Whilst I do own and ride one regularly, my areas of knowledge and expertise really lie with road bikes (I include hybrids etc in this) so I accept that on the 'dark side' (MTB's) there is a need for some rather strange and extreme set-ups to accommodate certain disciplines. I have ridden extensively in road races, time trials and track racing so I'm reasonably confident that I know what I'm talking about in relation to these particular fields of the sport.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I wasn't including MTB's at all to be honest. Whilst I do own and ride one regularly, my areas of knowledge and expertise really lie with road bikes (I include hybrids etc in this) so I accept that on the 'dark side' (MTB's) there is a need for some rather strange and extreme set-ups to accommodate certain disciplines. I have ridden extensively in road races, time trials and track racing so I'm reasonably confident that I know what I'm talking about in relation to these particular fields of the sport.

Fair enough. A valid point :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush

LINKS PLEASE, I'd like to see an example..

Ah, that's okay then :rolleyes:

Ah, yes you did say that before posting again :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jimmys

Regular
Offering the bike for £110 including courier delivery this weekend.

Payment by bank transfer only, don't use Paypal!

Cheers :smile:

mattsccm

I'm puzzled.Why do people get personal on some one elses thread.

Why not say nothing or back off when you don't agree.

Having said all that what started it is the misguided attempt but well meant, to give a guide to the rider size. Top tip. Don't do it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm puzzled.Why do people get personal on some one elses thread.

Why not say nothing or back off when you don't agree.

Having said all that what started it is the misguided attempt but well meant, to give a guide to the rider size. Top tip. Don't do it.

Agree that if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing. But I think in this case Smokey was trying to be helpful in telling the poster to PM the seller.

I think in this case Smokey was trying to be helpful in telling the poster to PM the seller.

Spot on MM, I hadn't even considered that the Mattsccm post was aimed at me, if it was please explain why it was Matt.

My post, (#56) was designed,

1) to bump the thread and hopefully bring new readers to it for the benefit of the OP

2) advise fozy_tornip of another way to make contact with the OP. Even if the OP has not been on CC for a while I find most people check their emails daily.

TBH I assumed the Mattsccm post was aimed at the earlier posts between various members about sizing.

Top Bottom