Ken Bird - my winter project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
DSC_0926.JPG
After some advice. Just took ownership of this Ken Bird time trail frame which has been modified to be a road bike frame. Think it's 1980 and was wondering what to build it up with.

I would like it to be contemporary so I was thinking golden arrow or something along those lines. Any ideas people of the CC?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Any contemporary groupset should be good, depends what you can get hold of and what your budget is. You might be able to date it better from the Reynolds decal.Bet it will fly.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks a lovely frame and a great project.
Not sure what to fit to it though, if you can get decent condition or NOS early 600/105 kit it would look lovely but more modern kit would be easier to source and give more choice/options on gearing.
I've done 3 of similar age and they are all different.
1- Raleigh Equipe with period Maillard hubs and 6 speed screw on freewheel with 105 (not indexed)
2- Worksop Raleigh 531 with Shimano r 500 wheels 8/9 hyperglide Dura-ace and a set of bar-end shifters (indexed)
3- 653 Handbuilt (no makers name or frame number) TT frame that has a Campagnolo Record/Centaur mix with Roval Classique Pave 10 speed wheels and Bullhorn bars.
For looks I like the Equipe best but the other 2 out-perform it. (as they do the old Carlton)

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
@biggs682

I think the ideal situation would be nuovo record but my pockets are only so deep. The issue if I go golden arrow is that I don't think they do braze on and it has had a braze added in 2005. Also sorry I never got back to you ref the simonci frame ^_^

@raleighnut I would like to keep it pre 1981 if shimano so possibly golden arrow or dura ace 7200..

Watching lots of bits on eBay etc but if anyone has half a group set of anything appropriate that would be a start

Windassisted

@BigAl68 dont worry about it i have a couple more now

you will have fun hunting down golden arrow gear in good condition

I have replaced my rear mech as previous muppet had stripped the thread on main captive hanger bolt., finding the eBay uk ones were all a bit nurfed I got one from USA, great condition and came quickly. However I think the lbs still have my old Golden Arrow one, is it possible to replace the damaged bolt unit as it was a nice condition otherwise and if it can be serviced it would be great to re-cycle
6A282386-FA00-42A3-9BCD-601EBB2CE6CD.jpe

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
I have replaced my rear mech as previous muppet had stripped the thread on main captive hanger bolt., finding the eBay uk ones were all a bit nurfed I got one from USA, great condition and came quickly. However I think the lbs still have my old Golden Arrow one, is it possible to replace the damaged bolt unit as it was a nice condition otherwise and if it can be serviced it would be great to re-cycle
6A282386-FA00-42A3-9BCD-601EBB2CE6CD.jpe

I have noticed most of the better condition stuff seems to be in the USA so I may have to start looking there. On replacing the damaged bolt, I would think that's a pretty easy job if you have the bits to replace the damaged bits.

Windassisted

@biggs682

I think the ideal situation would be nuovo record but my pockets are only so deep. The issue if I go golden arrow is that I don't think they do braze on and it has had a braze added in 2005. ^_^

I thought that but
surely these ones on eBay at present are for brazed on lugs ?
$_12.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Yes that's what I did mean @raleighnut

Currently watching numerous items on flee Bay. Some UK, some in holland and a few bits in the USA.

As this is a winter project there is no rush so it will be component by component. A nice set of Italian tubs are also on the list. Off to a bike jumble next weekend.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
The parts are coming together faster than I expected. Set of golden arrow brakes and leavers, 20 pounds off flee Bay. Bidding on a front and rear mech plus shifters tonight that I hope to win and have a chainset on my radar also.

If the prices keep low I may then treat myself to some sexy wheels, there are some on hilary stone taking my fancy.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Got the others bits last night also from a guy in holland. I may be building this over the Xmas holidays at this rate :bicycle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
These turned up today all black and dirty. Now ten minutes of wd40 all degreased and a bit of Mr sheen to make them gleam
DSC_0948.JPG

Top Bottom