Ken Bird - my winter project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windassisted

IMG_0123.JPG
odd bolt.JPG
BigAl, Can I just raise a point. Unless it is a trick of the photograph the pivot hanger bolt on your rear mech does not look right , from your photo it seems to have a raised dome head which does not tie up with the "from Holland" pic. I wonder if this is a replacement bolt and if it will be a correct fit as the bolt is special and designed to allow the arm to freely pivot . Your photo above . Replacement bolts are available from activesport2011 on eBay , £6.80 incl postage see thread in rear derallier hanger bolt in "Technical Know How forum

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
View attachment 75377 View attachment 75376 BigAl, Can I just raise a point. Unless it is a trick of the photograph the pivot hanger bolt on your rear mech does not look right , from your photo it seems to have a raised dome head which does not tie up with the "from Holland" pic. I wonder if this is a replacement bolt and if it will be a correct fit as the bolt is special and designed to allow the arm to freely pivot . Your photo above . Replacement bolts are available from activesport2011 on eBay , £6.80 incl postage see thread in rear derallier hanger bolt in "Technical Know How forum

Thanks for that to be honest I hadn't looked that closely at it. Bits are all at my mates workshop so I will look tomorrow. I would think he would have the right part at his if the bolt is as expected not correct

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
OK so started the build and came
across a few issues the main one is the braze ons that have been added. The downtube braze ons are not golden arrow compatible and I had already thought of having the front derailleur one removed anyway that the frame may be going up to Argos later in the week. Couple of pics of how far we got before going to the pub. We put a bodge in place for the shifters but not happy with them.
DSC_0975.JPG

DSC_0980.JPG

DSC_0978.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0979.JPG
    DSC_0979.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
I think that it probably deserves to go back to the original set up @raleighnut as otherwise it becomes a bit of a frankenbike with additions that probably don't suit it. The previous owner took it from a TT frame to a road bike and I want to take it back to its original purpose. More money to spend but maybe get the braze ons removed, build it up and make sure I am happy then get a new paint job end of the month. As I said it was always supposed to be a winter project.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think that it probably deserves to go back to the original set up @raleighnut as otherwise it becomes a bit of a frankenbike with additions that probably don't suit it. The previous owner took it from a TT frame to a road bike and I want to take it back to its original purpose. More money to spend but maybe get the braze ons removed, build it up and make sure I am happy then get a new paint job end of the month. As I said it was always supposed to be a winter project.
I've got several 'frankenbikes' but I prefer to think of them as an evolution of the original as most would have had Simplex/Huret rear mechs as original :cursing: and even 'cottered' steel cranks :angry: :cursing: in the case of my 67 Carlton Clubman.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
I've got several 'frankenbikes' but I prefer to think of them as an evolution of the original as most would have had Simplex/Huret rear mechs as original :cursing: and even 'cottered' steel cranks :angry: :cursing: in the case of my 67 Carlton Clubman.

I like a good frankenbike but as this is my first restoration job I would like it to be proper job as we say round here. I had a plan so think I will put it back to the original plan and get it right. Then I think I may become a foolish buyer of many more. This will be my fifth in my stable but somehow I think that will grow now I have fallen back in love with steel

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
@raleighnut and @Windassisted

Having had a think today and I believe that even though this frame has standard down tube bosses and I have golden arrow shifters there is possibly a conversation kit. Either of you come across one or know where I could pick one up? It would be nice to get the bike working over the next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Sorry I did post in two places. Can't find anything on their Web page so I will call them in the morning. Thanks again

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Looks a fab project!

It is and it helps that I have a mate with a workshop to use. Yesterday I learnt how to clean, regrease and fit an old school BB. How to balance an old break set but obviously came unstuck with the bosses being too long. Hopefully I can locate these tomorrow and get them in the post on Friday or Saturday and get out for its first ride. Still have to decide on a saddle but otherwise everything else is there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There may be some 'spacers' that are curved on one side (to fit around the frame) and flat on the other side. I bought some cheapo Shimano shifters ( they're switchable index/non -indexed) that have them and they are just loose bits of chromed plastic that just fill up that gap.
They seem to have SV20 or SY20 moulded into the black plastic handle and cost about a fiver complete.

Top Bottom