Ken Bruce is leaving radio 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don't mind Ken in the morning, preceded by Today.
At 12 sharp I call the ex-journalist who comes on a very rude word (or several, if I particularly dislike him that day) and switch to either 6 Music or R3, according to mood.
At 1pm it's Craig Charles on 6.
At 4 there's a bit of a dilemma, but it's often back to 3 if they've got a good turn on - likes a bit of Choral Evensong if I can get it.
Then 30 mins of Evan D, followed by Sara Cox on 2.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It'll probably be the end of my Radio 2 listening. More and more I've found the others irritating.

Alex321

Veteran
Obviously not the right age yet
I started about 25 years ago

I started listening to R2 when I was still in university, over 40 years ago.

There have been a few of their DJs I haven't liked, over the years - Chris Evans for one when he was there, and I'm not over keen on Rylan either. But most of them I have liked.
[EDIT]
And reminded by post above that I don't really like Jeremy Vine[/EDIT]

I may have to try switching to Greatest Hits Radio.

There must be something wrong with me; ten minutes of Radio 2 and I'm ready to end it all.

We all have different tastes. There is nothing wrong with not liking it at all.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I really enjoyed listening to Ken Bruce, seems like a genuinely lovely guy and we would all pause to listen to Popmaster when I was at work. It took a little while before the penny dropped that I was mainly listening to music that I was familiar and comfortable with, and turning into the current version of " the older generation " who enjoyed listening to Vera Lynn, Ruby Murray etc. I started tuning in to Radio Six Music, and left it playing in the background. I discovered some great music that I really enjoy and would never have been exposed to. There's a lot that doesn't " float my boat " as it where, but you need exposure to different music forms which sometimes may seem discordant, but over time the underlying structure clicks into place.
Through listening to Radio Six I've been exposed to, and come to really appreciate the music of such artists as Miles Davis, a genre that I'd previously dismissed as cacophonous but now I " get " and so much more.

newts

Veteran
Ken Bruce is the only R2 presenter that I listen to. Eventually everyone has to move on & he appears to be doing it gracefully & without the bitchyness of the other ex R2's that have gone in recent years. It's a great shame that they don't sack Jeremy (kyle) Vine, a 2 faced toadying prick if ever there was!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Who, Nevered heard of him.

We almost exclusively listen to Greatest Hits Radio now, unless it’s Ken Bruce time on R2. All the old Radio 2 and 1 DJs are over there. The playlist can get a bit stale sometimes but Simon Mayo is always a great listen.
Try Boom Radio. Their strap line is “every song’s a surprise” and I’ve heard stuff on there which I hadn’t heard for years. Predominantly 50s to 70s. You’ll find David Hamilton and Les Ross and occasionally Johnnie Walker/DLT and others. DAB+ or online

Top Bottom