Ken Bruce is leaving radio 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
This is similar to the 90's when R1 had a purge of some old DJ dinosaurs - those parodied by Harry Enfield as 'Smashy & Nicey' - as R1 became more 'cutting edge yoof orientated'. Ironically, those DJ replacements back then are now being booted upstairs onto R2. I'll miss Ken & his humour, I trust that Popmaster will still go on (I got 21 points the other week :okay:, best score).

presta

Guru
I was dismayed, I like Ken & his show better than any others. I've lost count of the number of times I've thought to myself I hope he's not planning to retire yet. From the way he emphasised that it's his choice I wondered if he saw them get rid of Steve Wright and decided to jump before he was pushed.
Joining Greatest Hits Radio, whatever that is.
Never heard of it, but I've got it on now, so we'll see.
And there's adverts....
The playlist can get a bit stale sometimes
When I discovered Smooth & Magic I thought they were great, playing all 'my kind' of stuff, but it's quite surprising how quickly that becomes cloying. Some of the stuff I like is not 'their kind', and it makes a change to have to listen to something you would have chosen.
This is similar to the 90's when R1 had a purge of some old DJ dinosaurs - those parodied by Harry Enfield as 'Smashy & Nicey' - as R1 became more 'cutting edge yoof orientated'. Ironically, those DJ replacements back then are now being booted upstairs onto R2. I'll miss Ken & his humour, I trust that Popmaster will still go on (I got 21 points the other week :okay:, best score).
I'm beginning to feel like my mum did when her stuff gradually disappeared, although she still had Keith Skues to listen to on Three Counties Radio. She was good friends with him from the days of Radio London, so he used to get her on his show occasionally.

That's a shame though I only really listen live in the car, at home I'm more likely to use BBC Sounds to catch up.

Gunk

Guru
We’ve listened to R2 for 20 years now but I am starting to tire of it. I drive a lot and mainly I listen to 5 live or my own playlist. Quite into listening to a complete album.

Just heard it on the 6 o'clock news .
I like listening to him and Pop Master. I don't mind Tiny Blackbum on Saturday morning . I'm gradually coming round fro hibernation so he's bearable . I can't stand Jeremey Whine ! I wish he would leave .

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's good news as far as I'm concerned, given that I stopped listening to Radio 2 several years ago when they lost the plot IMHO.. I did miss listening to Ken Bruce though.
I moved over to Radio Clyde 2 (part of the greatest hits/Bauer media group) as my go-to station. So now I can listen to Ken Bruce again without tuning in to Radio 2. The only possible reason for listening to Radio 2 now is Johnnie Walker for 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Exlaser2

Veteran
Try Boom Radio. Their strap line is “every song’s a surprise” and I’ve heard stuff on there which I hadn’t heard for years. Predominantly 50s to 70s. You’ll find David Hamilton and Les Ross and occasionally Johnnie Walker/DLT and others. DAB+ or online

Thanks for the warning, that sounds like my version of radio hell.
Think I will stay with Absolute, 6Music and a little bit of 5live/talksport. 😄

hobo

O' wise one
R1 plays all rap
R2 plays quite a variation of pop
R3 and R4 can't be many who listen to them
R6 plays the new stuff trying to break through and alot of rubbish
So where's the national station that will play indie, rock band type music new and old, eh. We need one!

It's good news as far as I'm concerned, given that I stopped listening to Radio 2 several years ago when they lost the plot IMHO.. I did miss listening to Ken Bruce though.
I moved over to Radio Clyde 2 (part of the greatest hits/Bauer media group) as my go-to station. So now I can listen to Ken Bruce again without tuning in to Radio 2. The only possible reason for listening to Radio 2 now is Johnnie Walker for 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Also he does the Rock Show which is excellent, think it Sat nights but I listen on catch up.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I can't stand Jeremey Whine ! I wish he would leave .

I find his show good and over the years I have learnt stuff from listening to it .

Ok he can be quite abrupt with people at times but he has a schedule to meet.

Can't stand listening to adverts in between music so I will be staying.

Just hope Mr G Davies gets the slot .

Top Bottom