Ken Laidlaw 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waspie

Über Member
Oh my legs. That was tough. Did myself in on the moor after Newcastleton, took ages for my legs to recover.

Great event though, well organised and friendly and almost traffic free. Will be back next year.

Hope everyone else enjoyed themselves. Saw someone in a cyclechat jersey on the way to Newcastleton but belting along at 25mph in a fair sized group didn't seem like the best opportunity to introduce myself.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Oh my legs. That was tough. Did myself in on the moor after Newcastleton, took ages for my legs to recover.

Great event though, well organised and friendly and almost traffic free. Will be back next year.

Hope everyone else enjoyed themselves. Saw someone in a cyclechat jersey on the way to Newcastleton but belting along at 25mph in a fair sized group didn't seem like the best opportunity to introduce myself.
'Twas I - and that would have been one of the two groups I failed to keep up with :angry:.

Stunning ride - fabulous weather :sun:, great views :thumbsup:, great hills :eek: and a brilliant tailwind on the last 15-20km run in to Hawick :wahhey:.

Seamab flew by on the first hill, going like the grimpeur we know him to be ;), so that was the last I saw of him :ohmy:.

Scook and Eldudino (nice to meet you at last :smile:) also went past on the same hill [I must be a slow starter :blush:], though I did see them at the feed stations :hungry:. They said "Oh we'll see you back in Hawick, don't worry" but .... that was the last I saw of them :rolleyes:. I guess they got tired of waiting ....

Jimbhoy and I had travelled down together but, unfortunately, his stomach was complaining big time in the first 5 minutes, so he didn't pass me on 'that hill' :ohmy:. We joined up at the first feed (Newcastleton) but poor Jim couldn't eat nor drink anything :sad:. He manfully struggled on to the second feed station but really had no choice but to pack, as things were no better, not able to drink even. We rode together to Tushielaw Inn, when he took the road straight back to Hawick and I continued up and down, up and down ... you get the picture.

Finished shortly after 1700 (1729), giving total time of 8.06-ish (8.29), ride time 7.14 (7.32), av sp 23.5 (22.6) - so there is improvement :becool:. [last year's figures in brackets]

As usual, organisation was superb - couldn't be faulted, really :thumbsup:

First class ride - and some of these folk are seriously quick :surrender:; others of us ........ aren't :smile:.

:tired: :tired:

TechMech

'Twas I - and that would have been one of the two groups I failed to keep up with :angry:.

Stunning ride - fabulous weather :sun:, great views :thumbsup:, great hills :eek: and a brilliant tailwind on the last 15-20km run in to Hawick :wahhey:.

Seamab flew by on the first hill, going like the grimpeur we know him to be ;), so that was the last I saw of him :ohmy:.

Scook and Eldudino (nice to meet you at last :smile:) also went past on the same hill [I must be a slow starter :blush:], though I did see them at the feed stations :hungry:. They said "Oh we'll see you back in Hawick, don't worry" but .... that was the last I saw of them :rolleyes:. I guess they got tired of waiting ....

Jimbhoy and I had travelled down together but, unfortunately, his stomach was complaining big time in the first 5 minutes, so he didn't pass me on 'that hill' :ohmy:. We joined up at the first feed (Newcastleton) but poor Jim couldn't eat nor drink anything :sad:. He manfully struggled on to the second feed station but really had no choice but to pack, as things were no better, not able to drink even. We rode together to Tushielaw Inn, when he took the road straight back to Hawick and I continued up and down, up and down ... you get the picture.

Finished shortly after 1700 (1729), giving total time of 8.06-ish (8.29), ride time 7.14 (7.32), av sp 23.5 (22.6) - so there is improvement :becool:. [last year's figures in brackets]

As usual, organisation was superb - couldn't be faulted, really :thumbsup:

First class ride - and some of these folk are seriously quick :surrender:; others of us ........ aren't :smile:.

:tired: :tired:

Well done guys
biggrin.gif

Scooosh, I hope that's kph and not mph!!
ohmy.gif

scook94

Veteran
It really was a great day, and I enjoyed (just about) every pedal stroke!

Sam and I got there very early and was met by Hamish, one of the organisers and after a chat we heading into the Clubhouse to get signed up, where we bumped into Kenny (one of the Stirling Bike Club members who we often ride with on Saturday mornings).

I saw Scoosh and Jimbhoy at the start but as we were getting called forward Sam noticed a problem with his front brake and we got separated just before the off as he attempted a repair (we had to stop again just before Langholm where with the assistance of the support crew and a Swiss Army knife the brake was finally sorted). I rode ahead of Sam and caught Scoosh and Jimbhoy a bit further on at the first hill but as our riding speeds weren't quite in sync I kept on going. Sam and Kenny caught me up and the 3 of us stuck together for the rest of the ride.

After preparing for last years weather it was such a treat to have glorious sunshine all the way round, although the headwinds across some of the long slow drags got old pretty quick!

Highlight for me was the climb known as The Swire, it was a great wee hill to sink your teeth into after the long slow inclines that had preceded it. I had a grin on my face all the way up, all the more pleasing that I felt so good as it came in about 80 miles into the ride! I took full advantage of the drinks and mars bars at the top as I waited for Sam and Kenny to get to the top.

Although I was pretty sore in the legs by the end we still finished pretty strong.

We did wait for a while after we received our medal and had eaten our stovies, for Scoosh to come in, but the chance for Sam to see his wee girl before her bedtime meant that we set off just after 5. (BTW you met Eldudino at the Perth ride last year)

Anyway, truly fabulous day. My first 100 miler and I'm really happy I did it on such a great event as the Ken Laidlaw!

Garmin data here - http://connect.garmi...tivity/45692651

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Was really disappointed about this, as i was looking forward to it for ages, there's a lesson here though ,never eat a roll sausage half an hour before the off, especially a dodgy one xx( , special thanks go to Scoosh and Mrs Scoosh for their hospitality, and Scoosh for staying with me part of the way, Steven sorry i couldn't stop and talk at the stop, nature was calling big time, as has been told elsewhere it was a struggle for me, i managed to ride a good bit of the course before deciding to quit, as i couldn't even drink water never mind eat any of the food that was on offer at the stops, fantastic weather and organisation though, definitely one for next year.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
i managed to ride a good bit of the course before deciding to quit, as i couldn't even drink water never mind eat any of the food that was on offer

I'm surprised you made it that far feeling like that. Very well done getting there, it was a bloody tough ride! No shame in having to abandon when you looked the way you did when we saw you at the 2nd feed stop. Hopefully you'll be feeling fine for the Stirling CC ride next Sunday. It took me about 3 weeks to get over my 1st 100miler because I got the fuelling all wrong and bonked horribly so take it easy for a good few days.

Eldudino (nice to meet you at last :smile:)

Steven's right, we met last year on the Perth CC ride - I looked a bit different though (4.5 stone different!). You'll see me again next weekend though on the Stirling CC ride.

Credit to Steven for finishing his first 100miler feeling good. It was a very hilly ride but the organisation (as others have said) really makes it a feel less arduous. I'll be doing it again next year for sure. :thumbsup:

scook94

Veteran

Seamab

What a contrast to last year - sunshine all the way:biggrin: I've got sunburn. Poor pre ride management meant that I arrived at 8.35am and was in a bit of a panic about getting signed on, changed and ready for the start that i forgot to put on the suncream.

There seemed to be a lot more riders than last year - i was way back on the starting grid and took some time to move up eventually passing Scoosh near the first hill.

I was targeting a sub 6 hour ride which never materialised:sad: I really struggled on the "Note o the Gate" climb before Newcastleton - it seemed to go and on into the headwind as did Holm Hill and the Berrybush. Again my front derailleur was playing up meaning i was finding it difficult to change down to the small ring. I had made some adjustments the night before and everything was working fine:angry:

I joined and left groups (or rather they left me...) and spent a fair time on my own. After the Swire i felt strong for the first time in the day until the final climb "Leap Linns" did me in - at least it was downhill from there.

After a very cold shower i was hoping to bump into some of you at the clubhouse but never recognised anyone. Hopefully, i might manage the social ride next Sun.

Again this was a superbly run event - absolutely Gold Standard. There is also a shorter course for those not used to 100 miles.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'm surprised you made it that far feeling like that. Very well done getting there, it was a bloody tough ride! No shame in having to abandon when you looked the way you did when we saw you at the 2nd feed stop. Hopefully you'll be feeling fine for the Stirling CC ride next Sunday. It took me about 3 weeks to get over my 1st 100miler because I got the fuelling all wrong and bonked horribly so take it easy for a good few days.
Nah - he's in training for the CC Ride next Sunday .... :smile:

Steven's right, we met last year on the Perth CC ride :blush: - I looked a bit different though (4.5 stone different!). You'll see me again next weekend though on the Stirling CC ride. 4.5 stone different again ;) ?

Credit to Steven for finishing his first 100miler feeling good. It was a very hilly ride but the organisation (as others have said) really makes it a feel less arduous. I'll be doing it again next year for sure. :thumbsup:
Chapeau to both of you ! Good time, that.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Any pics Waspie or Seamab (or was he 'moving through the pack' so quickly that the photi-man couldn't catch him :laugh: ?)

Seamab

Any pics Waspie or Seamab (or was he 'moving through the pack' so quickly that the photi-man couldn't catch him :laugh: ?)

Seamab

I'm near the back of the photo wearing black with white armwarmers, red helmet.

I never recognised the new slim versions of Scook94 or Eldudino - not seen them for a long time.

There were a lot of papparazzi out there snapping away - always happy to oblige with a top of a hill grimace:hello:
No doubt more will be posted soon.

Top Bottom