Keto Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I get reducing your sugar, pasta's and starches and eliminating breads but it just seems completely bizarre to me to up fat intake. If you're overweight, isn't the idea to burn that fat rather than eating it? Im no nutritionist or whatever first and foremost and am always looking to be educated on nutrition due to my current journey but it just seems bizarre.
That's one problem, assuming you're following the Ketogenic Diet as it should be, set amount each day every day. There are no days when meals are skipped. The body doesn't differentiate between the fats and just goes off the body fat when extra is required.

Taken too far and your brain will lose what it needs to function, long term.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I get reducing your sugar, pasta's and starches and eliminating breads but it just seems completely bizarre to me to up fat intake. If you're overweight, isn't the idea to burn that fat rather than eating it? Im no nutritionist or whatever first and foremost and am always looking to be educated on nutrition due to my current journey but it just seems bizarre.
Most of what you are asking is covered on the first page of the thread. Well worth a read

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

There was a time 10 years ago when I noticed that I wasn't as happy a person as normal and that was down to the forum. So I withdrew. I seem to remember a forum member called Ravenbait who was really cool, saying that I wouldn't be able to stay away. I notice that she is no longer on here. Maybe she found the same happen to her. Anyway I'm taking a sabbatical to get my mojo back, See ya

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There was a time 10 years ago when I noticed that I wasn't as happy a person as normal and that was down to the forum. So I withdrew. I seem to remember a forum member called Ravenbait who was really cool, saying that I wouldn't be able to stay away. I notice that she is no longer on here. Maybe she found the same happen to her. Anyway I'm taking a sabbatical to get my mojo back, See ya
I do wish you the best. I have been reading about the Keto diet and it has taken me to diabetes websites full of people who have been following this diet some for many decades with success. I dont think everyone would get on with it but for those that do I will no longer be ignorant to for sure. Take care.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW I managed to lose around 8-9kg / 10% of my body mass at a rate of about 0.5kg/wk on low carb / keto; along with a further, similar amount through extended water-fasting over a much shorter timescale (which Keto opens the door to as it kills the carb craving and makes it so much easier).

It definitely works for weight loss and while the diet can be pretty difficult to accomodate (everything has carbs in!) it's nice to be able to eat stuff you'd otherwise avoid on a traditional diet (I was eating fried eggs and halloumi for breakfast and the weight was still falling off). Once you've sacked off the carbs suffiicently the cravings subside and you generally find yourself eating a lot less; avoiding the while carb-fuelled blood sugar spikes and deficits that underpin the insatiable urge to eat more.

In the long term though it can be hard to stick to, and I find that I have an "all or nothing" attitude to carbs; I'm OK when off them pretty much completely, but trying to reintroduce them opens the door to the cravings again and soon I'm wanting all the crisps and chocolate. It also helps to be happy and otherwise have a stable, low-stress life (yeah, right!) as eating tends to be an emotional crutch for many (myself included).

Ultimately I think Keto's great for targeting weight loss but I'm less convinced as a long-term strategy due to the practical aspects of such a restrictive diet and lack of long-term data. Once at a decent weight I think a more sensible approach (assuming you can tread that tightrope) is low-carb; sticking only to low-GI foods and avoiding all the nasty high-GI, sugar-laden processed crap.

I'll just leave this here, Dr David Unwin a well respected , experienced GP passing a wonderful message.

https://mol.im/a/8084971
While I'm dubious of anything presented as fact by the Daily Fail, I do know at least two folks personally who've come off diabetes medication after following a low carb / low GI / Mediterranean diet to control their blood sugar fluctuations :smile:

Top Bottom