Kickstand for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u_i

Über Member
Presumably it flexes too much, as it relies on the strength of one sheet of alu. It takes away space on the axle, that may be needed for attaching a trailer. It is located farther away from the center of gravity that it needs to be. It lacks adjustment , that you need when changing the load on the bike. If it cost 1/10 or so of the price, it would be good as a temporary kickstand, before getting a better solution.

shingwell

I have tried a cheap kickstand that hinges at the rear wheel axle like that one does, and it doesn't really work adequately. It needs to act nearer to the front. Ok on a calm day on a perfectly flat surface I could just get the bike to balance but not in practical use. In particular with a loaded rack bag it does not work at all, and this is what I wanted it for - in this case you can't fold the rear wheel under into the "sitting position" without faffing around taking the bag off.

There is an older thread somewhere with a couple of other options. Found it!

Suspicious that they don't provide a photo with the stand actually in use!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

One of the things l like best about my Brompton is when I flip the rear wheel under it is very stable. I don't need a kick stand, although if l were to put a bag on a back rack that could be different. So far one of my front bags on the carrier block and ny saddlebag have been plenty.

Mine fell down first time after light breeze standing flipped on the rear wheel. Though if one decides to get a kickstand there are lots of options on Aliexpress for $20 or $48 if you want it to be half titanium.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

You're probably right. Majority of kickstand pictures on listings lack one important criteria, how much it protrudes from the bike when folded. I'd expect it to be at least within dimensions of folded bike or better yet a little closer towards the wheel. Otherwise when folded it will add width. Also I put my bike to the trunk on this side when folded and in my case the weight of the bike will be on the kickstand edge. Not sure what issues it may cause but keeps me worried.

u_i

Über Member
Sticking out when folded is generally not a problem, because the crank and folded pedal already carve out the space. However, these 'lots of options' kickstands are generally poorly designed and work marginally in supporting the bike. Alu and Ti are weaker materials than steel. The weakness can be compensated with the shape around the area where they grip the bike, but this is normally not done for those 'lots of options' ones. Supporting at the axle is a negative. At times there may be no damper. Below is the cheap kids bike stand which should be superior to the Colorplus and the Aliexpress alu & Ti bunch:

EvoStand.jpg

Next level is Humpert Liliput that must be hammered though to make its shape fit the Brompton. The absolutely best commercially available kickstand for Brompton, that fits off the shelf, is Ergotec/Humpert from Faltrad XXS who ship, though, only to EU:

Ergotec.jpg

The other option is to buy the Ergotec/Humpert/Tranz-X for a full-size bike ($14 on Amazon) and cut the leg to fit Brompton and add a foot:

Ergotec.jpg

Last edited:

u_i

Über Member
Is this one any more stable than the Liliput?

The manufacturer moves around the same components around their different kickstands. The middle is identical for the Lilliput and this one. The benefit in gripping the two stays is that the support can move closer to the center of the bike, for a bit greater stability, and that the axle is freed. When you take off the wheel, you do not need to bother with the stand anymore. Another is that you cannot in practice reshape the Lilliput to grab the chain stay fully satisfactorily. So there is an advantage, but I would not put swapping the Lilliput with this one onto the top shelf of projects. If you dismantle the spring mechanism in the stand (not really needed), be sure not to lose a small ball, on top of a secondary spring, used in indexing.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Those were CNC machined from aluminum blocks. :laugh: The process is quite time comsuming but the product very strong.
You will not want to find out the price of these rear frame hooks from same brand :angel:

263754500_10224099362103205_7321660035378512937_n.jpg

263773584_10224099367183332_2300206683205366954_n.jpg

260752238_1532967157101836_5409839636305633461_n.jpg

Last edited:

l4dva

Guru
Am I missing the point of a kick stand here?

Surely you would just fold the rear wheel under the frame and your brompton will stand comfortably by it self?

Top Bottom