Kickstand for road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elz1582

I'm a student entrepreneur and keen road cyclist looking to try and design a kickstand for a road bike. Internet research mainly focuses on the cons; weight, drag, lack of style etc. however I propose to design a stand which rests parallel to the rear wheel in order to divert air away from the rear wheel spokes, subsequently reducing drag.

The stand aims to amplify the performance of a road bike whilst increasing its practicality in day to day use such as commuting to work.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions regarding this idea I'd be very thankful.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Get a new idea ?

RWright

Guru
It would have to be very light to get the interest of the road bike crowd, maybe include an integrated speed/cadence sensor that works with a Garmin edge. The sensors setups I have seen out there seem far from elegant.

Making it make the bike noticeably more aerodynamic might be a little tricky considering you may want to keep the size small. I would think one of the bigger obstacles for a lightweight road bike kickstand might be the wind factor. A strong wind would blow the bike right over more than likely, unless it was maybe leaned at some extreme angle. Even then a very strong wind would still cause trouble.

Ajay

Veteran
If you're a student then it could still be a worthwhile project in r&d terms, bearing in mind the vast majority of ideas never make it to market.
However, if you're an entrepreneur, then "I'm out"

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's certainly not something that I need or want.

snorri

Legendary Member
I would be more interested in a stand which could be relied upon to hold my road touring bike up in windy weather on uneven ground when laden with panniers rather than any 'go faster' aerodynamic qualities.

Sharky

Guru
You may have a good idea. I read somewhere that a top rider (or was it Lance?), always carried a water bottle on the seat tube, even if it was empty, to improve the airflow over the back wheel for time trials. But it would have to be wind tunnel tested, light, proven and not look like a kick stand.

Cheers keith

Top Bottom