Kids hand signals - tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yazzoo

Obviously I know practice is key but does anyone have any tips? Lack of confidence is the main problem for my son. I've been telling him to just 'hover' one hand (at a time!) over the handlebars for as long as possible but so it's right there should he need to put it back on the bars which is helping slightly but seems a long way away from being able to sit up and maintain a strong signal to other traffic!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I remember trying to ride one handed when i was a nipper... scary stuff indeed. I recall 'hovering' and paying more attention to my hands proximity to the bar than what was ahead of me, which i'm sure didn't help. I also recall it being just as tricky trying to ride one handed with the other arm. I guess it's just a case of relaxing and being safe on the knowledge that physics is one your side.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't worry. He'll get it in time with practice. Don't push him too hard or show you if you are getting frustrated as it will only upset him.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have two bikes, one I can happily ride no-handed, and the other I really can't. Some bikes are inherently more stable than others, so it's conceivable the lad's bike is hard to ride one-handed. . This may or may not be true in the lad's case, never mind how to find out or fix - unless you can ride it yourself like a circus clown as an experiment :-)

And of course he's just a lad, so it's all likely a bit tricky anyhow

If it's a possibility I can _really_ recommend a bit of tandeming/tag-a-longing as a way of getting your kids confident with hand signals.

Although we have developed a technique whereby I tell the littly to indicate and he pats me on the bum before sticking a hand out, thus affording an opportunity for a 'no, the other right' correction if needed...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
One of the guys in my cycling group teaches bikeability and he gets the kids to learn new skills without them realising it, so it'll be things like touch your head or knee for the one-handed balance, what colour car did we just pass for shoulder checks, etc.

jhawk

Veteran
I'm still struggling with the fecking hand signals! As I've really poor balance, trying to signal with my left arm/hand is difficult, but the same isn't true for my right arm/hand. I can ride one handed with my left hand on the handlebars all day long, but when I switch to my right I'm all over the place!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm still struggling with the fecking hand signals! As I've really poor balance, trying to signal with my left arm/hand is difficult, but the same isn't true for my right arm/hand. I can ride one handed with my left hand on the handlebars all day long, but when I switch to my right I'm all over the place!

So to turn left, do you perform 3 right turns and go completely around the block?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As I've really poor balance, trying to signal with my left arm/hand is difficult, but the same isn't true for my right arm/hand. I can ride one handed with my left hand on the handlebars all day long, but when I switch to my right I'm all over the place!
Did you know that there's a right-hand signal for turning left? No? Nor do most motorists so it's not really much help :sad: oh and you're in Canada where you drive on the wrong side and hand signals are probably different.

I struggle too. I have to turn right off a steep decent on my way to work. I need both hands to brake and one hand to signal.
Do a Copenhagen turn? Or fit a backpedal brake ;)

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

One of the guys in my cycling group teaches bikeability and he gets the kids to learn new skills without them realising it, so it'll be things like touch your head or knee for the one-handed balance, what colour car did we just pass for shoulder checks, etc.

I like this ^^^ will be attempting it next time we ride!

I know it's just practice and time etc but he's so keen to ride everywhere at the moment, I'd feel a lot safer if he signalled better!

Drago

Legendary Member
And the other thing with hand signals is knowing when to do them. If there's no one around who'll benefit from you doing one then dont. Too many people on the road in all types of vehicles simply use them as a substitute for looking,

machew

Veteran
In Canada, It's

Left Turn: Left arm straight out.

Right Turn: Left arm bent up at the elbow.

Stop/slow down: Left arm bent down at the elbow.

Top Bottom