Kids hand signals - tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And that's where your observation skills come in. It forces you to consciously look properly before making a decision to indicate.
In the problem case I'm describing, I'm not the one who fails to indicate and they won't indicate no matter how hard I stare at them...

Drago

Legendary Member
Of course, some people don't indicate because they're HUA.

The whole indicate-only-if-necessary observation exercise comes from advanced driving, and has been proven since the 1930s to work very effectively as an aid to good observation.

Cyclist33

Obviously I know practice is key but does anyone have any tips? Lack of confidence is the main problem for my son. I've been telling him to just 'hover' one hand (at a time!) over the handlebars for as long as possible but so it's right there should he need to put it back on the bars which is helping slightly but seems a long way away from being able to sit up and maintain a strong signal to other traffic!
Maybe ride with him until he is able to do it alone..?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Forget about indicating left. It serves no useful purpose.

quite! Although there's the odd exception, it tends to encourage left hookings round the corner and people turning right across your path into your left turn. I would indicate left to help someone pull out who was otherwise waiting for me but only if the risks mentioned are not present

mjr

quite! Although there's the odd exception, it tends to encourage left hookings round the corner and people turning right across your path into your left turn. I would indicate left to help someone pull out who was otherwise waiting for me but only if the risks mentioned are not present
If you don't indicate when turning left, I hope you give way to people walking across the road you're turning into... but generally, I'm yet again giving thanks that I'm usually riding in a town not completely full of inconsiderate nobbers. I don't remember anyone here taking a left-turn signal as an invitation to cut me up. Then again, it may be because I'm a six-ish-footer on a big black roadster. :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you don't indicate when turning left, I hope you give way to people walking across the road you're turning into... but generally, I'm yet again giving thanks that I'm usually riding in a town not completely full of inconsiderate nobbers. I don't remember anyone here taking a left-turn signal as an invitation to cut me up. Then again, it may be because I'm a six-ish-footer on a big black roadster. :laugh:

Um, yes I do thank you very much car or bike . Had an argument with some twit on the ctc site complaining about pedestrians walking across junctions without looking - out of my way -parp parp, or is it ting ting. He wouldn't have it that he (cyclist) was in the wrong. And indicating wouldn't have given him more right to barge through pedestrians either

Last edited:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I teach Bikeability, and teach other other instructors too. One trick is to get the kids to look straight ahead, not (as has already been mentioned) down, or in the direction they're signalling (very common). The easiest way is to stand infront of them about 20 yards away, facing them. As they ride towards you, keep on telling them "Look at me, look at me, point that way, keep on looking at me". Works.

G3CWI

Veteran
Forget about indicating left. It serves no useful purpose.

I can think of some useful purposes it might serve. Car waiting to turn out of a road you are turning left into can proceed if you have signaled your intention to turn. Similarly a pedestrian waiting to cross might appreciate your signal. A cyclist on your wheel might find it useful too.

mjr

I can think of some useful purposes it might serve. Car waiting to turn out of a road you are turning left into can proceed if you have signaled your intention to turn. ...
While I agree with the other two, a motorist should not proceed just because oncoming traffic is signalling.

jhawk

Veteran
[QUOTE 3809736, member: 259"]I'm like that too - it's not the best way round if you live in a country where they drive on the right, is it?[/QUOTE]

Indeed! I'm used to it now though. I've found that people from other parts of the country give me far more room to ride than those that live locally - and as I'm about the only cyclist on the damn roads all the time - it's not like they don't know I'm here!

Top Bottom