Kids - How far do you cycle with yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eagone

Since about 8 he’s been doing 22k ride on trails, at 10 he’s completed a 40k Road sportive on his MTB.

Now 11....
Now he wants to set his MTB up on the turbo and use the turbo

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Both my sons did the Manchester-Blackpool 60 mile ride when aged 11. The younger one was still romping along when he got to the end and probably had at least another 10-15 miles in him. When they were younger, 6, 7, 8 yrs old we frequently did 15-20 mile rides at places like Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire and converted railway tracks like the Tissington trail.

Kids are capable of more than we often expect but don't over do it and build up to the bigger rides, they won't just go out and nail it on the first ride. Also ride at a suitable pace. They might ride at daddies speed for 5 or 6 miles but that will be it and the ride will then be over!

KneesUp

Guru
We had at home when I was a kid an M&S book about cycling - it's about the only book I can't now find in my parents house, but as I recall it was softback and had a sort of graph paper design to the cover, with lots of people on bikes. Anyway, that said - as accurately as I can remember from 30 years ago "from the age of 12 upwards, any child should find 50 miles in a day to be not too much of an effort"

The kid (8) is generally fine when it's just us two and it's flat. Add other people and/or more than the most imperceptible of inclines into the mix and she is not happy. She did 6 miles in the summer to Boat of Garten, and she seemed ok, but we were with a group and being the slowest (and youngest) was a bother to her so when the opportunity to get the train back arose she was all over it. When it gets a bit warmer she wants to go out more - I've got her a new-to-her bike that that I've geared lower than her last bike as she never used 5th, and very rarely used 4th, but often wanted a 0 and a -1 so we'll see how that goes.

It's not a competition though - they do what they are comfortable with, and I guess it's our job to guide them re: do they want to do more but need encouragement, are they happy with what they can do and have no interest in doing more so it's counter-productive to try and make them, or are they really not that bothered about cycling and just doing it to be sociable with us? Or a bit of some or all of the above? I've suggested to the kid that when she's older we could cycle to my parents (TPT Sheffield to Manchester) and she has absolutely no interest whatsoever - just flat our refuses to countenance the idea that anyone would want to to do that when you could drive or go by train - but when I was talking to OH about maybe cycling the Great Glen Way at some point she was really keen. What's that all about? :smile:

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Well, we did another cycle at Clumber Park this morning, the boy and I. Increased the distance from 7km to 10 km today. We rode on the roads mostly so he could learn / practise looking over his shoulders, signalling direction (aka riding with one hand), best part of the foot to use on pedals, and road markings. He also learnt that going that bit faster helps reduce wobble which he liked a lot. He’s not the most confident of riders by any stretch of the imagination.

Taking him tomorrow morning too.

On Monday, he starts his Bikeability course at school which runs for 4 days. I have high hopes that this will improve his confidence too.

steven1988

Veteran
Well, we did another cycle at Clumber Park this morning, the boy and I. Increased the distance from 7km to 10 km today. We rode on the roads mostly so he could learn / practise looking over his shoulders, signalling direction (aka riding with one hand), best part of the foot to use on pedals, and road markings. He also learnt that going that bit faster helps reduce wobble which he liked a lot. He’s not the most confident of riders by any stretch of the imagination.

Taking him tomorrow morning too.

On Monday, he starts his Bikeability course at school which runs for 4 days. I have high hopes that this will improve his confidence too.

Clumber is our favourite go to destination from where we are we can get there completely off road there and back is about 12 miles for us

The SmallestCub benefitted greatly from bikeability - partly, I think, because he realised that although he's not as 'good' at cycling as his brother he is nonetheless better than most kids his age!

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Clumber is our favourite go to destination from where we are we can get there completely off road there and back is about 12 miles for us

I’ve cycled there from home a few times now and it’s a good run, mostly on Chesterfield Canal. My boy’s no where near ready for that yet, but one day he will be. My daughter is only 6 and already a better rider than my son. She’s not ready for those distances yet though. She’s coming too tomorrow morning so we shall get her in ‘training’ too. ^_^

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
[QUOTE 5162325, member: 10119"]The SmallestCub benefitted greatly from bikeability - partly, I think, because he realised that although he's not as 'good' at cycling as his brother he is nonetheless better than most kids his age![/QUOTE]

It sounds like a good programme, far better than the Cycling Proficiency I did as a child. They’re going to take him out on the local roads for real experience too. Better than weaving around cones all day. I’m glad it was very useful for your son. It’s reassuring ^_^

steven1988

Veteran
I’ve cycled there from home a few times now and it’s a good run, mostly on Chesterfield Canal. My boy’s no where near ready for that yet, but one day he will be. My daughter is only 6 and already a better rider than my son. She’s not ready for those distances yet though. She’s coming too tomorrow morning so we shall get her in ‘training’ too. ^_^
We use robin hoods Way from Creswell Crags into Clumber all off road and brings you out at Truman's lodge

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mine are all grown up now, but I remember taking them to the Forest of Dean when one was 5 and they did 5 miles then, quite soon after learning to ride. And then in the following years doing 15 mile trails when on holiday. I'd say it's just about having fun, and don't worry about exact distances, better that they return home happy to go out next time than leaving them with a memory of being exhausted. Food is probably the main thing, have snacks, or a destination with a cafe stop or picnic!

Sandra6

Veteran
It shouldn't matter how far or how fast other children his age, younger or older, are cycling. It's more important that he's enjoying the time on the bike.
I have a 30 mile limit, plenty on here older than me that ride further.
My daughters would happily ride the length of the cycle track near our house - 4 miles - and back from about age 7. Now I'd be lucky to get them once round the block and they're much older. Although the 18 year old does cycle 3 miles each way to college every day.
Just go with what you're both happy with and see how it builds, or doesn't .

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
:welcome:Well, we had another bimble around Clumber Park this morning, and my 6-year-old daughter came too. We did a happy 12 km so 2 km further than yesterday. ^_^

My son is definitely improving, even from only yesterday. I had him practising arm signals which were a lot stronger today and he maintained his balance too. My daughter struggled a little on hills with her single-speed. She just needs to grow 2” to ride her new bike we got her for Christmas. It’s a 6-speed which should help her considerably.

steven1988

Veteran
:welcome:Well, we had another bimble around Clumber Park this morning, and my 6-year-old daughter came too. We did a happy 12 km so 2 km further than yesterday. ^_^

My son is definitely improving, even from only yesterday. I had him practising arm signals which were a lot stronger today and he maintained his balance too. My daughter struggled a little on hills with her single-speed. She just needs to grow 2” to ride her new bike we got her for Christmas. It’s a 6-speed which should help her considerably.

I don' know if you are a member of a club or not but I am family coordinator with Bolsover and District. We try to get kids of all abilities out riding together at least once a month you would be more than welcome to join us on one you'd be surprised how far kids ride with other kids.

We will also be getting our coached go ride sessions up and running again when it warms up a bit all kids who can ride pedals are welcome.

Feel free to give pur Facebook page a like and keep an eye out our page https://m.facebook.com/groups/407779339240771?ref=bookmarks

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I don' know if you are a member of a club or not but I am family coordinator with Bolsover and District. We try to get kids of all abilities out riding together at least once a month you would be more than welcome to join us on one you'd be surprised how far kids ride with other kids.

We will also be getting our coached go ride sessions up and running again when it warms up a bit all kids who can ride pedals are welcome.

Feel free to give pur Facebook page a like and keep an eye out our page https://m.facebook.com/groups/407779339240771?ref=bookmarks

Thanks Steven, that would be great ^_^ I’ll look out for the Facebook page and put your next event on our calendar. I’m not in a club (probably not a fast enough rider), but I could keep up with the kids :okay: plus it would improve my kids’ confidence as well as making new friends too.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom