Kids Scams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
In the tea thread @welsh dragon mentioned woodbines..which reminded me?

As a young devious little #%#% I was always upto no good.
I took up the fags as most did around my way ,my dad collected sixpence's in a tub which he kept in the wardrobe.
I used to dip into this fund and pop down the road to the Old Scarlet pub off licence and by 10 no6 or gold leaf woody's etc as they were about 25p then.
the landlord Cyril knew me as my dad used the pub most nights...my dad asked Cyril to keep any sixpence's he found when cashing up as he collected them..
he even paid a bit more for them...
I kept this scam going for too long and dad twigged...Cyril found it highly amusing as did my dads mates..
lukily my dads a top bloke so I got away with a raised callused hand and a "you little ##*%" speech..

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
In the tea thread @welsh dragon mentioned woodbines..which reminded me?

As a young devious little #%#% I was always upto no good.
I took up the fags as most did around my way ,my dad collected sixpence's in a tub which he kept in the wardrobe.
I used to dip into this fund and pop down the road to the Old Scarlet pub off licence and by 10 no6 or gold leaf woody's etc as they were about 25p then.
the landlord Cyril knew me as my dad used the pub most nights...my dad asked Cyril to keep any sixpence's he found when cashing up as he collected them..
he even paid a bit more for them...
I kept this scam going for too long and dad twigged...Cyril found it highly amusing as did my dads mates..
lukily my dads a top bloke so I got away with a raised callused hand and a "you little ##*%" speech..

Served you right too.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My dad always kept spare coins in a jacket pocket, hung in the hall. When the ice-cream van came round, a quick dip into that pocket was often the key to dairy-based frozen-treat delight-type situations. I don't think he ever noticed :smile:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I used to collect Lemonade Bottles to get the 10p back, I never stole them, I used to ask all my neighbours. Once a month we might make £2
Then, one time me and my brother turned up at the shop to cash the bottles in, and the shop owner accused us of stealing them all from outside the shop (he use to leave them in crates for some stupid reason).
He frog marched us home, only to find my parents wondering why we still had the "bottles to take to the shop".
I suggested to the shop owner that perhaps he should not leave the damn things outside if he thinks people will steal them - which we had not.

I think I was smoking at the age of 16. I managed to stop when I was 30 something - thank goodness.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We used to go trolleying - hanging around supermarket car parks offering to return people's trolleys to the shop in return for the 10p. I remember one lady saying "I'll wait here so you can bring my 10p back". Did she think we were doing it out of the goodness of our hearts?

Also, nail varnish on phonecards meant free calls.

U

User6179

Not me but a friend would jam a bolt in the coin return on public telephones , if the phone did not except the coins which happened all the time then the coin would drop into the coin return and the bolt would stop it landing in the tray , he would walk around collect the money and wedge the bolt back up the coin return, he was really cheesed off when BT changed the design .

My scam was if you went into to school late after 10am , you could get a late slip then just go home , if you went in before 10am you appeared on a list as late but in attendance but after 10am you were not on the list so appeared to be off but just needed to hand the late slip to the form teacher .

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
On the coin slot thing..
Perkins Engines ,now Catapillar had a big old scam on the fag machines many yrs ago .
drop coins in with cotton stuck to the coin so you pulled the coin out and reused..
im not sure but this may have been the catalyst for the cotten cutter invention we have now?

Climbing over the (not very high) wall of the Masons Arms yard, nicking empty bottles and returning them to the Fleming Arms 200 yards away for the deposit. We later progressed to empty beer barrels taken to the dodgy scrap yard.

Slightly OT; But even though I lived on a council estate on the edge of town, many of the houses had big gardens and lots had fruit trees, which we'd scrump. Can't imagine today's kids stealing fruit, maybe if they had the fun of scrumping it more would eat their five a day.

subaqua

What’s the point
Climbing over the (not very high) wall of the Masons Arms yard, nicking empty bottles and returning them to the Fleming Arms 200 yards away for the deposit. We later progressed to empty beer barrels taken to the dodgy scrap yard.

Slightly OT; But even though I lived on a council estate on the edge of town, many of the houses had big gardens and lots had fruit trees, which we'd scrump. Can't imagine today's kids stealing fruit, maybe if they had the fun of scrumping it more would eat their five a day.

oooh my guts ache now at remembering eating scrumped apples. god they were bitter . the resulting explosion below was not good either.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Another slot machine one: somebody at school worked out how to scam the Coke machine. If you held the button down and switched it off and on at the wall at the exact moment you put your money in, it would dispense a can and also give your money back. It didn't last long before they took the machine away. I think they cited fire regulations as it was situated under the stairs. :laugh:

I also know a fruit machine scam but I'd best not share it ;).

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Table Football for free - file a groove across the faces of a 10p piece and then tie some fishing line to it leaving a length of line to pull on. Then drop the 10p into the machine and as you pressed the mechanism in you tensioned slightly the line . You then slowly released the mechanism (allowing the balls to come out) whilst pulling back in the line and out popped your 10p ready for re-use.

The only problem was that I tended to spend the whole day in the Cafe instead of going to lectures.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yes, scrumping was a major part of (I guess late summer) hols... near us there was a wood... at the back of the wood was a 'fenced off' orchard. We never knew, nor found out, whose orchard it was, but we used to nick loads of apples and pears. In fact our mum used to ask us to go get some from time to time :smile:

Top Bottom