"Killer" bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CotterPin

The 7/7 London bombings may have resulted in a “second wave” of casualties on the roads as people switched from the tube to travelling by bicycle, psychiatrists believe.

Prof Peter Ayton, from City University, who led the study, said: “People avoided things in which large numbers of people were killed at one time and switched to what looked like more innocent methods of travel like bicycling.
“But if you asked which killed more people ion the last 10 years in London, international terrorism, or bicycles, the answer would definitely be bicycles."

There is possibly something in this (I seem to recall a similar case made after 9/11 when people switched to driving rather than taking domestic flights in the US). However the reporting is astoundingly bad. The comments are worth reading though.

Will1985

Über Member
Bicycles don't kill cyclists.

thomas

the tank engine
Will1985 said:
Bicycles don't kill cyclists.

My bike looked like it'd killed someone this morning. I cut my finger last night and it bled all over my drops and brake lever on my ride this morning :sad:.

I had to wipe it all off, otherwise I thought I'd get to my bike to find the police processing it :tongue:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'm hoping the Telegraph have done the Prof an injustice with that article as it ludicrous in its current form.

Will1985

Über Member
garrilla said:
No, a play on Goldy Looking Chains' Guns Don't Kill People (Rappers Do)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv-2XYOtgCg

Haven't you heard the Radio 1 cover? (Mouldy Looking Stain)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As Origamist says. (Were you doing that R5 thing this morning - I was impressed!). The more cyclists the safer the individual cyclist. London cyclists are safer than those elsewhere in the country. Deaths have not risen, despite a near doubling of the number of cyclists. And so on, and so on............

And if you look at the way people, both cyclists and pedestrians are killed in London, there are certain standout, addressable, characteristics. Which the prof didn't uncover because he didn't look

garrilla

Will1985 said:
Haven't you heard the Radio 1 cover? (Mouldy Looking Stain)

Ni, I must have missed that.

I think the last Moyles parody I heard was Totally Addicted to Plaice as I'm just not a R1 type person since I grew an an extra decade.

Top Bottom