"Killer" bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Cunobelin said:
I love the "Pace line" in this video

.... and for the next "SMIDSY" - the ultimate commuting accessory:

TB41-2.jpg

Good find, like cyclocross with automatic weapons.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Why has lizban gone all quiet on the benefits of cycling?

Miz

“But if you asked which killed more people ion the last 10 years in London, international terrorism, or bicycles, the answer would definitely be bicycles.

I wonder if this research takes into account the numbers of people who, in taking up cycling post 7/7 actually extended their lives / avoided premature death due to lack of exercise ?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
jonny jeez said:
I'm probably not going to make many friends with this comment ...but I think it's a valid bit of journalism,
It's not, because it's wrong. Casualties stayed steady despite an increase in cycling. What's more the quality of cyclists has declined. If the prof was looking for a cheap statistic he could have suggested that increased RLJing made cycling safer.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lizban said:
Simply been busy at work! Glad you missed me!

For me the main benefits are

Fitness
Fun
Money rasied for charity (c£2500 this year)

And spectacularly missed the point - that your point re the article and deaths per mile was true, but also completely wrong when regular cyclists on average live two years longer than the general UK population.

Lizban

BentMikey said:
And spectacularly missed the point - that your point re the article and deaths per mile was true, but also completely wrong when regular cyclists on average live two years longer than the general UK population.

Do you read peoples' posts?

Just to help you out a little I've posted you a little bit of it that might open your eyes a little.

'Not the best article but I think it raises a valid discussion point but has been badly handled.'

Hey ho tis how it is you clearly have an issue with my posting - I'm sure I won't let it ruin my day.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, I read your posts just fine. Nowhere do you make any acknowledgement that cycling saves lives overall, nor do you make any response to the point that regular cyclists live longer than the rest of the population.

Lizban

BentMikey said:
Yes, I read your posts just fine. Nowhere do you make any acknowledgement that cycling saves lives overall, nor do you make any response to the point that regular cyclists live longer than the rest of the population.

I assumed you would have read the inferance from the fact I provided a list and then said etc etc etc etc, if we had to list every beneft every post I think that the server would crash!

EDIT; Just looked at my earlier post and I do in fact mention the fitness benefit, makes your responses seem even stranger than they were before

Lizban

BentMikey said:
Nope, you still missed the point. You suggested that cycling costs lives, whilst missing that it actually saves lives.

Oh dear, let's try again. The REPORT suggests that 7/7 lead to people moving from the TUBE to cycling, we assumed that the TUBE is safer per mile to travel therefore it is a logical conclusion that as a result of 7/7 people have moved from a safer to a more dangerous activity thereby resulting in more deaths.

However

I then suggested that this had some validity but was a very narrow view on the issue as it focused on one elemeent alone of cycling and missed the benefits which I summerised as fitness, speed cost etc etc etc. (and you added longer life expecatancy)

Is that clearer?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
fair enough, but what validity did the report have? - more people cycled, deaths didn't increase..........

Top Bottom