Kinda nervous for tommorrow commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
some drivers still don't realise how fast a cyclist can be.

Cyclists shouldn't be riding fast in busy urban conditions - simple as that. The ones that do are reckless idiots and sooner or later they'll end up having a coming together with another cyclist, a scooter, a pedestrian, going over the bonnet of a car or ending up under a truck.
I've witnessed loads of incidents over the years that simply wouldn't have happened if the rider had been taking it easy as they would have had more reaction time and wouldn't have been pushing their luck in the first place trying to squeeze through small gaps and overtake buses that had started to pull out from a stop.

Nothing wrong with cycling at a decent speed skipdiver, I don't break speed limits and I guess few do. Cycling recklessly is an entirely different matter. I have no intention of pandering to some drivers mistaken ideas that I should be going at something just above walking pace. Why should I? Or anyone else? I'm not fast but if you want to ride at an even more stately pace,that's entirely up to you.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Riding on a decent stretch of clear road with good visibility is a very different thing to mixing it up with heavy traffic flows where you've got multiple traffic lanes and multiple traffic light junctions or roundabouts all closely spaced together.
It's nothing short of suicidal trying to be pushy when you've got all sorts of different types of vehicles coming from all directions and wanting to change lanes ready for the next set of lights where they may be turning off. Unrealistic expectations of average speeds and journey times don't help. I base getting around anywhere in London on an average of about 10 mph, and no more. Sometimes I can better that without taking chances but most times when you factor in the stopping and starting and holding back so you don't get taken out by 40ft artic trailer or a cement mixer on a corner, the average will rarely break into double digits.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Riding on a decent stretch of clear road with good visibility is a very different thing to mixing it up with heavy traffic flows where you've got multiple traffic lanes and multiple traffic light junctions or roundabouts all closely spaced together.
It's nothing short of suicidal trying to be pushy when you've got all sorts of different types of vehicles coming from all directions and wanting to change lanes ready for the next set of lights where they may be turning off. Unrealistic expectations of average speeds and journey times don't help. I base getting around anywhere in London on an average of about 10 mph, and no more. Sometimes I can better that without taking chances but most times when you factor in the stopping and starting and holding back so you don't get taken out by 40ft artic trailer or a cement mixer on a corner, the average will rarely break into double digits.
As a London commuter since the 80's, I agree with Mr @Sittingduck, A crock. Complete nonsense.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I base getting around anywhere in London on an average of about 10 mph, and no more

This is very much the case if youre in a big motorised vehicle. However I average 15-16mph around london but others will probably be much faster. I think i started commuting on a bicycle in late 2014 or 2015 and im still doing it. Cycling is definitely the best way and the fastest way (so long you got the stamina) to get around london if you dont mind the weather and getting a bit sweaty.

Its not the absolute hell you describe it to be.

This is very much the case if youre in a big motorised vehicle. However I average 15-16mph around london but others will probably be much faster. I think i started commuting on a bicycle in late 2014 or 2015 and im still doing it. Cycling is definitely the best way and the fastest way (so long you got the stamina) to get around london if you dont mind the weather and getting a bit sweaty.

Its not the absolute hell you describe it to be.

Is that your moving average or distance/time ?
A mate of mine has autopause on his Garmin so it only records above a certain speed. As a result he was doing the same rides as me but always finishing with a higher average.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Is that your moving average or distance/time ?
A mate of mine has autopause on his Garmin so it only records above a certain speed. As a result he was doing the same rides as me but always finishing with a higher average.

my average moving speed is 15-16mph. My average is 14mph. top speed 23-25mph - depending on the conditions. Total ride time - 1hr8mins. Total moving time - 1:02:49

The lost minutes is where i get stuck at traffic lights. And yes, i use the autopause feature too.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Cyclists shouldn't be riding fast in busy urban conditions - simple as that. The ones that do are reckless idiots and sooner or later they'll end up having a coming together with another cyclist, a scooter, a pedestrian, going over the bonnet of a car or ending up under a truck.
I've witnessed loads of incidents over the years that simply wouldn't have happened if the rider had been taking it easy as they would have had more reaction time and wouldn't have been pushing their luck in the first place trying to squeeze through small gaps and overtake buses that had started to pull out from a stop.
You been drinking early today Skippy?

The most absolute time that I feel safe on the road and I am most unlikely to have any 'incidents' with fellow road users is when I am maintaining pace with the traffic and fitting in with the flow.

Maybe this is just me who is an ingrained motorist as well as a Lifetime cyclist?

Solocle

Über Member
You been drinking early today Skippy?

The most absolute time that I feel safe on the road and I am most unlikely to have any 'incidents' with fellow road users is when I am maintaining pace with the traffic and fitting in with the flow.

Maybe this is just me who is an ingrained motorist as well as a Lifetime cyclist?
Indeed. Yesterday I cycled on the A23 approaching Brighton. 3 lane dual carriageway, 70 mph speed limit! Well, the left lane had been coned off for veteran cars, a potential refuge. However, I quickly realised that the traffic speed was low, 20-30 mph. So I accelerated to 30 mph. I filtered when speeds dipped briefly, but twice an approaching braking wave was propogating backward towards me, and there was a big gap in the outside lane, so I moved to that and overtook, before returning to the left lane as speeds picked up again.

Intense, but absoutely great fun! Had the traffic been doing 40-70 mph, then it would have been completely and utterly terrifying (except for the aforementioned coned off lane).
1636390942038.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indeed. Yesterday I cycled on the A23 approaching Brighton. 3 lane dual carriageway, 70 mph speed limit! Well, the left lane had been coned off for veteran cars, a potential refuge. However, I quickly realised that the traffic speed was low, 20-30 mph. So I accelerated to 30 mph. I filtered when speeds dipped briefly, but twice an approaching braking wave was propogating backward towards me, and there was a big gap in the outside lane, so I moved to that and overtook, before returning to the left lane as speeds picked up again.

Intense, but absoutely great fun! Had the traffic been doing 40-70 mph, then it would have been completely and utterly terrifying (except for the aforementioned coned off lane).
View attachment 616999
I've done that A23 dash a couple of times whilst doing this ride...heart stopping.

classic33

Leg End Member
What you're saying then is either
We as cyclists, slow down and get out of the way of motor vehicles. Even if we need to be in a particular lane for our own safety. Or
That as cyclists, who cycle at similar speed to other traffic on the roads are putting ourselves in harms(and the motorists) way by virtue of being in the correct lane. Being on the left and intending to turn right across one, let alone more lane(s) of traffic is suicidal*.

*My opinion only of course, based on what you posted.

tinywheels

Über Member
wow some forthright opinions here chaps.
as a London cyclist since 1965,I can say the roads are faster and potentially more dangerous.
It's no surprise that some accidents occur, many riders seem to have left their senses at home.
proceed with caution, natural selection will take care of the others.
it's gonna be interesting to see how highway code changes pan out.
Remember it's not much good arguing when your on the ground, with a shattered pelvis, but your ankle is facing the wrong way.
ride carefully, or you may regret it.

Top Bottom