Kindle books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
My OH loves her Fire because she can use facebook and pinterest on it as well as read books and is cheaper and easier to use than an Android tablet or iPad in her mind.

I much prefer the e-ink screen of my paperwhite for reading books. I never read books on a tablet or phone.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've had a Kindle device, and I do miss the e-ink display. And the loooooong battery life. I've now got a Nexus 7 and a smartphone with the Kindle app on both.
It's most useful for holidays - my luggage is markedly lighter now I'm not taking books.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Thanks I've worked out how to do the folder thing and realised the bullets go bold, it's small but you can tell

Mine doesn't have an external keyboard, it's got the keyboard built in, it looks just like a printed page to me, I love it, you can get comfy and don't have to keep changing position to move the page :smile:

Katherine

Guru
Thanks I've worked out how to do the folder thing and realised the bullets go bold, it's small but you can tell

Mine doesn't have an external keyboard, it's got the keyboard built in, it looks just like a printed page to me, I love it, you can get comfy and don't have to keep changing position to move the page :smile:
Good, well done. Enjoy your reading.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I read a study which concluded that the original Kindle and actual books were best for nighttime reading - anything with a lit up screen (something to do with a blue light) such as tablet, ipad, Kindle Paperwhite, Fire etc had a negative impact on getting to sleep (takes longer) and quality of sleep.

I certainly notice it if looking at my phone too much in the evening.

andyfraser

Über Member
I have the light on my paperwhite set to 2 (very low), just enough to see the screen well with my bedside light down low. I have no problems getting to sleep.

IIRC it was a bit of a false alarm with an IPad on its brightest setting being a quarter of the intensity needed to suppress Melatonin

The other flaw was that to read a book an older kindle you need to use a light!
The paper failed to assess whether the use of a torch had similar effects

I believe that latest Kindle (Voyage) actually has a programme which dims the light to compensate for improved night vision

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I have the light on my paperwhite set to 2 (very low), just enough to see the screen well with my bedside light down low. I have no problems getting to sleep.

You would really need to do a comparison and measure it though to see if there was a difference.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I use an original Kindle and bedside light thereby annoying my wife, probably having a bigger effect on the quality of my sleep!

Top Bottom