Kindle or actual books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Went to see About Time on Saturday night... it was a warm, fuzzy film as long as you just run with it.
[Edit: sorry, distracted for a moment.... Squirrel!!]

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I like the smell of books in a bookshop its oddly comforting, a bit like radio 4.

To this day i can still remember the smell of the old Deal Library. Some of the local nuns used to work in there and did the cleaning so it was probably carbolic. One of them used to cycle and scare the bejesus out of me. Think she thought i was ripe for conversion being Jewish because she kept trying to get me to take out The New Testament.

Archie_tect

A colleague has a first edition of the first Harry Potter. He says it would be very valuable if he hadn't dropped it in the bath when his kids were small and he was reading it to them. He is quite philosophical about it.
There must be 100,000s of the Harry Potter first print run.... he's not going to lose anything.

asterix

Comrade Member
There must be 100,000s of the Harry Potter first print run.... he's not going to lose anything.

That is certainly true of the later books but apparently the first one had only a small print of the real 1st edn. There's some arcane method of identifying some items that can make a difference of sqillions.

e.g.

Hardcover first edition first printings of this 1997 book have become the ‘Holy Grail’ for Potter collectors. If you find one in the attic, then you’ve hit the jackpot. Only 500 were published and 300 went to libraries.
The main characteristics of a 1997 first edition first issue are a print line that reads 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 and the crediting of "Joanne Rowling" not JK. Prices on AbeBooks vary from $40,000 to $55,000.

I own a very ordinary looking (but well-written) book that I now find is selling at £4-500 and rising. I have no idea why but I am careful not to read it in the bath. ..and no, I'm sorry but you can't borrow it.

Archie_tect

She probably owns the other 200... since she manipulated everyone so well from the start... even the Elephant Cafe in Edinburgh is a mecca for Rowling fans, where once it was just a [slightly pricey] cafe serving Fairtrade stuff.

asterix

Comrade Member
She probably owns the other 200... since she manipulated everyone so well from the start... even the Elephant Cafe in Edinburgh is a mecca for Rowling fans, where once it was just a [slightly pricey] cafe serving Fairtrade stuff.

Yes if it wasn't libellous and very controversial I'd suggest much of HP is plagiarism. So I won't, except under my breath.

Kindle all the way for me. Lighter than a book, and much easier to hold with one hand, can take your entire collection away with you, and buy the next book as soon as you've finished the first!

Ian A

Über Member
We were kindle early adopters and have two plus my phone. We go through a lot of books and my wife teaches so keeps referring back to them. We simply don't have the space for all the books we get through and re-use many books.

Top Bottom