Kindle or actual books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Another nail in the coffin of interaction within our local communities. Everyone shut in their homes typing away on the web, downloading everything we need to be home delivered, unaware of, and remote from, our neighbours.

Can't beat wandering down the road to the library on a Saturday morning, having a chat along the way with friends from the next street, paying the papers in the newsagents- meeting the mother-in-law talking to people she knows from her exercise class and stopping off at the butchers where MissA-T's old primary school teacher introduces us to her niece who has just started teaching at the same school.... she used to be at university at the same time as MasterA_T.... turns out she knows him...

You miss all that downloading e-books...

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Kindle all the way - Mrs SD has one too.

We are big readers (Mrs SD easily romps through 3-4 books a week) and we love the ease of use of the whole Kindle experience - go online, find a book, download in seconds and away you go. No more trudging off to town, leafing through books in a bookshop, queuing up etc and then trudging home. Brilliant!

:eek: My idea of heaven, small people are removed for me and I can spend hours and hours and hours peering in the book shop choosing, smelling that book smell and stuff ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Another nail in the coffin of interaction within our local communities. Everyone shut in their homes typing away on the web, downloading everything we need to be home delivered, unaware of, and remote from, our neighbours.

Can't beat wandering down the road to the library on a Saturday morning, having a chat along the way with friends from the next street, paying the papers in the newsagents- meeting the mother-in-law talking to people she knows from her exercise class and stopping off at the butchers where MissA-T's old primary school teacher introduces us to her niece who has just started teaching at the same school.... she used to be at university at the same time as MasterA_T.... turns out she knows him...

You miss all that downloading e-books...

I think you are being over-dramatic there. :laugh:

We live in a small village (120-ish people) and we all (apart from maybe a handful of folks) talk to each other regularly. None of this is dependent on the existence of Libraries, The Royal Mail or The Church of England etc. :smile:

Archie_tect

You and I are lucky to live in a close-knit community Spokey... most people don't, especially in urban areas- now that milkmen have been priced out.

Do you still have a Village Carnival S? MrsA_T was born and raised in Seaton and her old school friends still keep the Seaton Carnival alive... but it's hard work!

Archie_tect

5 minutes to go and you grab your kindle? [presumably that's not a euphemism]

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

That reminds me of a film I watched on Netflix yesterday called Surrogates, and sadly the world probably will one day end up just like it.

Top Bottom