Kindle or actual books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
I prefer using an e-pub format reader like Sony's because the e pub format is the industry standard at the moment and there are thousands of this type that can be downloaded for free on the Internet.I just wish that someone would invent a full colour L.C.D screen so I could enjoy the studying the colour illustrations in my Noddy books in bright sunlight.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I have a Sony reader, which is coupled with Calibre and the kindle app on my laptop and kindle and Aldiko on my phone. This allows me to get books from wherever, such as the local library - Derby is tied up with Overdrive for borrowing ebooks.
I like reading, so I like all kinds of books. I do like the convenience of my reader, but I like books too.

BJH

Über Member
How good are they for reading at night? Age is catching up on my eyes when reading in bed with a bed side light so wondered if they at actually easier t read without resorting to the font size being the size of the top letters on an eye chart.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Got a Kindle as an unwanted birthday present, tried it by downloading acouple of books but they aren't cheap.
Having to pay amazon to download books I would like, or worse, already have or can borrow from the library for nothing just seems a stupid waste of money.
Besides, have you seen the books you can get from charity shops for pennies... then just return them as donations for others to buy to support the charities!
Nothing beats a real book, besides you can only read one or two on holiday so why download more than a couple at a time anyway... unless you'rve got lots of unwanted money!
.... and breathe.
Just read The Coroner by M.R. Hall- that was a decent book though the lead character's a bit odd.

Archie_tect

Don't many people use their local library anymore....

It's brilliant, you go in and they give you a card which allows you to borrow up to six books at a time to read anywhere you like for a whole month. If you finish them before the month's up you can take then back and get lots more.... for nothing!! Yup, nothing!:ohmy:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
How good are they for reading at night? Age is catching up on my eyes when reading in bed with a bed side light so wondered if they at actually easier t read without resorting to the font size being the size of the top letters on an eye chart.

I don't know about the ones with a built in backlight, but my Sony is as easy to read as a normal book. The advantage over a normal book is that you can usually tweak the font or the text size to suit you.

Archie_tect

Ah, radio kits, listening to Luxemburg...

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Recent convert. The long battery life and ability to view in daylight are huge pluses over Kindle on Android devices and the Paperlight which Mrs B has is excellent for reading in bed. There's a lot free and much more substantially cheaper than paper books, light and easy to read on the tube and its a good way to read large PDFs - sometimes part of my job - to and from work.

On the other hand no good for books where format matters or where you get pleasure from handling the book.

The Kindle and like will kill off paperbacks, but the hardback will survive.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I can't find my headtorch! If it is somewhere in the house, then it is well hidden. Perhaps I lost it on an evening ride?
Or its like looking for the lost glasses you are wearing. Oh yes, you can read a Kindle when you've forgotten your reading glasses.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Don't many people use their local library anymore....

It's brilliant, you go in and they give you a card which allows you to borrow up to six books at a time to read anywhere you like for a whole month. If you finish them before the month's up you can take then back and get lots more.... for nothing!! Yup, nothing!:ohmy:

I fully support the local library, and take the girls there regularly. But, personally, I prefer to own the books. I know with e-books you don't technically own the book, but you do the availability. And with ePub readers (ie not the Kindle), many library services offer eBook lending services, where you can borrow eBooks, which automatically expire after 14 or 21 days (unless you're one of those naughty people who break the DRM... :whistle:). No more remembering to take the book back on a cold, wet Wednesday afternoon when the library's closed anyway! No more late fees!

This arguement's a bit like the satnav versus maps one. Both have advantages, both have their place. I just like to read...:reading:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
As I understand it amazon also lend books. Once you have read one it goes back and you can borrow another. ?

Top Bottom