Kindle or actual books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Amazon don't charge anything for the service.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Reading, like an education, is free unless you subscribe to pay for the privilege.
Sadly, I broke the library habit as my local council never seemed to buy any new books for the library - and this was well before the present cuts.

welsh dragon

No proble . My husband has borrowed a number of books and he hasn't been charged for any of them.

welsh dragon

I agree completely. However my local library does not have a very big collection. My nearest town is very small. However I do also have a library card.

welsh dragon

Hi. Yes that is right. There may be a few books that they would charge a very small amount to borrow, but they tell you up front.. but so far we haven't been charged for any.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
If we don't fight to keep our libraries they will be closed and gone forever, a bit like our postal service.

I went in our local library after it had gone a total refit that took a few years to complete the building was very impresive the contents less so, the books on any subjects I would want to read were so old as to be useless and the rest of the building was full of computers which is fine if you want to read old out of date books and use a computer but I can do that at home.

Chris Norton

i like reading on my android phone as i can read anywhere. with the real book i have to remember it.

love the library though. lincolnshire is very digital and all webbed up so you can renew books online. very handy.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
You can still order books+ if we give up and let the libraries decline, they will.... I often donate paperbacks I've been given once they're read.

I know what you mean Archie but I cant help but feel that something has to changebut I cant quite put my finger on what, I now only read ebooks these days I just don't want my house cluttered up with books I haven't got the room it is taken up with bikes ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
How good are they for reading at night? Age is catching up on my eyes when reading in bed with a bed side light so wondered if they at actually easier t read without resorting to the font size being the size of the top letters on an eye chart.

I have the cooking version so need my bedside lamp on. Mrs SD has The Paperwhite version which is really good. It just glows soft and white. Not bright like a computer screen though. Very subtle and very easy to read without any lights on - a real boon to her as she has reached that age where she has hot flushes, can't sleep till about 3pm and likes to read whilst I snore!

Reactions: BJH

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Don't many people use their local library anymore....

It's brilliant, you go in and they give you a card which allows you to borrow up to six books at a time to read anywhere you like for a whole month. If you finish them before the month's up you can take then back and get lots more.... for nothing!! Yup, nothing!:ohmy:

Nope, not us. We have no use for them. We think they are just plain archaic and a waste of public money. All we need is the web and e-readers and job done.

Top Bottom