Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I thought about one of these but because I do not really travel anywhere I decided not to bother. If I was and didn't want bulky books I would get one in a flash. The other thing that put me off is the price of the ebooks for it, well the ones that I have looked at anyway. They seem to be around the same price as I could get a new paperback version delivered (or more expensive as I tend to get used books off Amazon market place/ebay). I just expected some kind of saving for some reason as surely it is better for the environment etc. I will probably get one eventually as I am sure that they will get even cheaper.

just jim

12 pages of discussion and waffle about how to read a book - amazing !!!!!!

No, it's a discussion about the Kindle.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I thought about one of these but because I do not really travel anywhere I decided not to bother. If I was and didn't want bulky books I would get one in a flash. The other thing that put me off is the price of the ebooks for it, well the ones that I have looked at anyway. They seem to be around the same price as I could get a new paperback version delivered (or more expensive as I tend to get used books off Amazon market place/ebay). I just expected some kind of saving for some reason as surely it is better for the environment etc. I will probably get one eventually as I am sure that they will get even cheaper.

A lot of the books I buy (if not all) are cheaper than the paperback. I've kind of made a policy for myself that if the ebook is more expensive I'll do without it entirely so as not to encourage the publisher.

One thing worth noting (it may have been mentioned already) is the books don't attract VAT whereas ebooks do. Completely illogical and hopefully someone will fix it soon (although probably by putting VAT on books)

frank9755

Cyclist
I wouldn't buy one. I completely get the idea of having an e-reader, but I don't like being locked in to specific file formats or proprietary hardware which might restrict how I use it.

When I used to travel to work by train (5 years ago) I used to read books on my pda. There are 33,000 available free from Project Gutenberg, plus many more from commercial sites.

I found it really handy as it meant that I always had my book in my pocket, if I had 5 minutes to kill while waiting in a queue or something. While I still prefer to read from paper, the convenience of 'always with me' meant that most of my book-reading was in this form. I read pretty much the complete works of Trollope, quite a bit of Dickens and a lot more on my pda.

This approach worked better for me than a proprietary device like a Kindle would have done (if it had been invented then!) because I read very quickly and want to be able to control how the screen set-up looks. I much preferred to have books as text files so I could choose my own font and avoid large borders. With pda e-reader software or pdfs I found that the pages did not have enough text on them to enable me to read at normal speed. The Kindle software may give more options than pda e-readers, but it won't give more than a text file.

The Kindle certainly has its customer segment (as both its sales and the messages on here prove) but if you own a pda already and have the modest level of IT / internet searching skills needed to track down, download and convert text files, you don't need one to access the benefits.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The Kindle certainly has its customer segment (as both its sales and the messages on here prove) but if you own a pda already and have the modest level of IT / internet searching skills needed to track down, download and convert text files, you don't need one to access the benefits.

A reasonable point, but a crucial one. A lot of people whether they be techies or not have totally different devices to others that have function overlap. Not a new problem. I don't have a PDA, tablet, notebook, smart phone, DS or anything like that. I'd also say that not the early adopters, but the market kindle are aiming for -having been in book groups for years- are more the technophobic than techie end of the scale and respect publishers rights to the hilt so are much easier to take for a joyride in terms of DRM.

The Kindle has convenience and ease of use as big selling points. There is no searching, downloading and converting needed - I'm no technophobe but it is so easy to use the kindle. Far too easy, I now have a few several lots of books to read. Amazon have also been quite clever releasing free pc, ipad and android apps that can sync with the Kindle if you use multiple devices.
Looks to me like something thats time has come and (via the music industry) we are more comfortable with digital downloads, be it on whatever device suits your needs.

Proto

Legendary Member
I wouldn't buy one. I completely get the idea of having an e-reader, but I don't like being locked in to specific file formats or proprietary hardware which might restrict how I use it.

Whilst you may be locked into one format that the Kindle can read (and also PDF) there is software that will convert any format of ebook into Kindle file types. So, you can publish your books anywhere you like and stick them on your Kidle

Have a look here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/about

darth vadar

Über Member
I read somewhere that in the US sales of Kindle books are now outselling ordinary books.

Can you believe that ?

Shows what I know about IT.

I think I might have to get one now !!!!!!

:thumbsup:

PS No, not really

martint235

Dog on a bike
Silly question but now I've got loads of books, how do I place an ebook in a collection in such a way that it doesn't also appear in the main list? So far I've added books to collections, eg Nesbo, but each book also appear in my main list. Any ideas?

rusky

CC Addict
Go to the main list, press menu & select create collection.

Select the books you want & move them to the collection.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Go to the main list, press menu & select create collection.

Select the books you want & move them to the collection.

But, like Martin, I find this still leaves the books on the main list.

It worked this time. I think I might have been doing something wrong the first time. So what I did this time is create the collection on the home screen. Go to the book and press the right side of the directional pad, choose add to collection and it worked. Cheers Rusky.

HelenD, I don't remember doing it this way the first time I tried so there must be another way that leaves the book in the main list.

M

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I must be really thick because I still can't get this to work. Are you just using the book title on the list on the home page or opening up the book then transferring it into a collection? I've tried both and still have the book left on the main list.

Top Bottom