Kinesis TI Frame. Should I, or shouldn’t I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pacenti SL25 rimmed wheels

Hi Graham,

Just wondered what tyres you have tried with these rims? Do you find them especially difficult to fit tyres to, or is it just me?! I have the same rims on my new handbuilts but am finding fitting tyres a nightmare.

So far I have tried -

4Seasons 28mm - nigh on impossible to fit
Duranos 25mm - as above
30mm G-Ones - got them on eventually but it was a 2 man and 4 tyre lever job. Daren't take them off again now and terrified of puncturing! (amazing tyres for mixed tarmac/gravel riding incidentally)

I got some 35mm Schwalbe knobblies on with minimal fuss, but that was just an experiment - I don't want to ride knobblies on this bike, and in any case I don't have the clearance for them.

I'm pretty well-versed now in fitting tyres and don't have problems fitting & removing tyres from any of my other wheels (Mavic/Alexrims/Fulcrum), so I think it's the Pacentis not me....!

Ideally looking for 25mm/28mm slick road tyres with good puncture protection that will go on and off without roadside trauma...any tips?

Thanks,

Andy

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Hi Graham,

Just wondered what tyres you have tried with these rims? Do you find them especially difficult to fit tyres to, or is it just me?! I have the same rims on my new handbuilts but am finding fitting tyres a nightmare.

So far I have tried -

4Seasons 28mm - nigh on impossible to fit
Duranos 25mm - as above
30mm G-Ones - got them on eventually but it was a 2 man and 4 tyre lever job. Daren't take them off again now and terrified of puncturing! (amazing tyres for mixed tarmac/gravel riding incidentally)

I got some 35mm Schwalbe knobblies on with minimal fuss, but that was just an experiment - I don't want to ride knobblies on this bike, and in any case I don't have the clearance for them.

I'm pretty well-versed now in fitting tyres and don't have problems fitting & removing tyres from any of my other wheels (Mavic/Alexrims/Fulcrum), so I think it's the Pacentis not me....!

Ideally looking for 25mm/28mm slick road tyres with good puncture protection that will go on and off without roadside trauma...any tips?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I know what you mean. I think it’s because they’re tubeless ready rims.

I use Michelin Pro4 Endurance which probably meat all your criteria, although they’re getting more difficult to obtain as they are being replaced by the Michelin Power series.

When brand new I find them very difficult to fit to the rims, but after a few hundred miles they soften up a bit and are easier to get off and on again. Having said that, I do carry a pair of rubberised gloves with my puncture repair kit to help me get them on without blisters on my thumbs (and keep my hands clean).

These tyres do seem to be very puncture existent though - I think I’ve only had 3 or 4 punctures in over 20,000 miles over the last three years.

Graham

Hi Andy,

I know what you mean. I think it’s because they’re tubeless ready rims.

I use Michelin Pro4 Endurance which probably meat all your criteria, although they’re getting more difficult to obtain as they are being replaced by the Michelin Power series.

When brand new I find them very difficult to fit to the rims, but after a few hundred miles they soften up a bit and are easier to get off and on again. Having said that, I do carry a pair of rubberised gloves with my puncture repair kit to help me get them on without blisters on my thumbs (and keep my hands clean).

These tyres do seem to be very puncture existent though - I think I’ve only had 3 or 4 punctures in over 20,000 miles over the last three years.

Graham

Thanks, Graham. As it happens I was looking at getting some Pro4s, for my road riding (which is what these wheels are primarily going to be doing) so that's a nice coincidence, and good to hear your positive report on them. Looks like they're on sale at Chain Reaction right now if you wanted to snap up some more for when yours wear out. Are you running 28mm versions?

Sounds like they might not be all that much easier to fit initially than the G-Ones (which are excellent but due to be transferred to my CX bike with Mavic rims - too good to waste on purely tarmac rides and hopefully they'll go on and off those rims easier).

The rim tape my wheelbuilder fitted to the Pacentis is pretty chunky, cheap and nasty looking stuff, so I might get rid of that when I fit the Pro4s, see if some quality, thinner tubeless ready rim tape helps when it comes to getting the bead into the centre.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Thanks, Graham. As it happens I was looking at getting some Pro4s, for my road riding (which is what these wheels are primarily going to be doing) so that's a nice coincidence, and good to hear your positive report on them. Looks like they're on sale at Chain Reaction right now if you wanted to snap up some more for when yours wear out. Are you running 28mm versions?

Sounds like they might not be all that much easier to fit initially than the G-Ones (which are excellent but due to be transferred to my CX bike with Mavic rims - too good to waste on purely tarmac rides and hopefully they'll go on and off those rims easier).

The rim tape my wheelbuilder fitted to the Pacentis is pretty chunky, cheap and nasty looking stuff, so I might get rid of that when I fit the Pro4s, see if some quality, thinner tubeless ready rim tape helps when it comes to getting the bead into the centre.

Cheers.

Yes, I use 28c.

I use the Velox cloth rim tape as you can push it right down into the well.

Stratman

Why thank you, I'm glad you noticed.

Well I’ve put c500 miles on it now. At first I thought that it was just the same as The GFTI Disc, which wasn’t a bad thing, but after a while I think that it is a little stiffer out of the saddle. I’m also aware that this could be no more than placebo! Overall I like it every but as much as the one it replaced, and I definitely prefer through axles with discs. Looking forward to the first really long ride on it

Top Bottom