Kinesis TI Frame. Should I, or shouldn’t I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to want Ti but after seeing so many people’s crack and it’s such a pig to weld I’m staying clear.
How many is so many? I’m struggling to think of any on CC from the last 8 years or so.

AlanW

Guru
I personally know of five within my cycling group of friends, with one person having his replacement Van Nic frame frame crack in the exact same place as the first one did!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I used to want Ti but after seeing so many people’s crack and it’s such a pig to weld I’m staying clear.
I've had mine for 4yrs now............straight gauge, no double butted nonsense and I'm also a big chap

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Over on YACF, there have been a few 'crack of doom' threads, including bikes owned by people who are/were members over here. User10571's Van Nic & @Andrew Br 's Enigma (both Ti) but all frame materials, certainly nothing to suggest Ti is weaker or more liable to problems (because it isn't).

News to me, my Ti (a Kinesis) has done 39,000 miles in 5 and 3/4 years and the frame still good and I've never known anyone with a ti frame who says otherwise. I have known a lot of people with alu or carbon bikes who have had them crack.

Last edited:

Stratman

I found this thread following a search for GFTI Disc and crack.

I’ve had mine for just under a year. I bought it second hand as I’d come across it at Sherwood Pines and couldn’t resist. Just like Tenacious Sloth, magic carpet ride, even better since I put Hunt tubeless on (with a SON as well), and I’ve covered 8-9k miles on it as I have a long commute, which I also extend now an then like Graham. Got home last night thinking that something was wrong: downtube cracked over half way round right by the cable port. I’m amazed it could be ridden at all.

Call to Kinesis on Monday, not expecting a warranty, but they do have a crash replacement scheme so I’ll see what they can do.

Serge

Über Member
I found this thread following a search for GFTI Disc and crack.

I’ve had mine for just under a year. I bought it second hand as I’d come across it at Sherwood Pines and couldn’t resist. Just like Tenacious Sloth, magic carpet ride, even better since I put Hunt tubeless on (with a SON as well), and I’ve covered 8-9k miles on it as I have a long commute, which I also extend now an then like Graham. Got home last night thinking that something was wrong: downtube cracked over half way round right by the cable port. I’m amazed it could be ridden at all.

Call to Kinesis on Monday, not expecting a warranty, but they do have a crash replacement scheme so I’ll see what they can do.
That's a damn shame, good luck with that.

Serge

Über Member
Spoke to Kinesis (Upgrade Bikes) and agreed a discount under the crash replacement scheme. My new GTD Disc will arrive after I’ve sent the old frame. They were immediately helpful and I’m happy with the outcome. (And I quite fancied through axles)
Cracking result, I'm chuffed for you.

Top Bottom